3Com NBX 100 DoSing network!

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Greg, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Hi,

    My company purchased a 3Com NBX 100 phone system, and I installed it
    today. It's running without the IP-on-the-fly licence, and is plugged
    directly into a SuperStack II switch with the rest of our computers.
    The second I plugged it in though, I noticed a sudden surge of
    traffic. I tried shutting off auto discovery, and enabled
    compression, etc. but this still persists. The status lights on the
    switch are at a constant orange indication.

    Is this normal behavior of the NBX? Also, would adding the IP licence
    prevent this? We have a VPN and multiple subnets, so ultimately I
    need to buy it...

    Thanks in advance.
    Greg Liebowitz

    IT Media, Inc.
    www.itmediaco.com

    Greg, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Greg

    John Guest

    Do you use MOH (Music on Hold)? if you don't, then disable it.

    John, Jun 14, 2004

  3. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Thank you for the tip! I disabled MOH and it solved the problem.

    Greg, Jun 14, 2004
  4. Greg

    Chris Hills Guest

    Hi Greg

    This is because SuperStack II switches do not support multicast
    properly. You would not have any problems when using 4400 series or
    above switches. The NBX sends the music on hold as multicast, at a
    constant rate just high enough to cause the data light to remain
    permanently on. This is simply cosmetic, and should not cause any
    problem on your network.

    Regards

    Chris

    Chris Hills, Jun 15, 2004