    prefer for the IDF's. I can't find in the Cisco docs on the 3750 if all 24
    of those ports can be trunk links, ie, are they non blocking or not. Can
    anyone shed some light here?

    ec, Apr 6, 2004

  2. ec

    Jeff C Guest

    With a backplane speed of 32 Gbps (IIRC) all of the ports on the 3750 are
    "non-blocking" of course if you are aggregating 24 gigabit copper ports
    to 2 gigabit uplink ports so there is going to be a bottleneck in the
    design. All of the ports can function as trunk ports from what I recall
    but I have never installed one in that manner.

    The 3750 has a few different limitations including a maximum of 12
    etherchannel connections (fine you say there are only 24 ports that is
    until you "stack" multiple switches together)

    In reguards to this I think I saw a document on Cisco's site concerning
    network design indicating a suggested 8 to one ratio between access and
    distribution and 4 to one ratio from distribution to core.

    Some of the above is from memory and some from experiance. Double check
    anything I say before you make any final decisions as I am not an
    engineer.

    -Jeff C

    Jeff C, Apr 6, 2004

  3. I like the 8 to 1 number, but in a webinar on Gig to the desktop they
    claimed 20 to 1, and that there was no noticable problem at 40 to 1.
    I'm not sure I beleive it. I prefer to design with the 8 to 1.

    Trent Collicutt, Apr 17, 2004