3750G and RPS

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by TGPO, May 9, 2005.

  1. TGPO

    TGPO Guest

    I have 3 3750-24TS-E and 2 3750G-24TS-E switches in a stack, each
    connected to their own RPS (RPS 675).

    If power fails to each of the 5 switches in the stack, the individual
    RPSs kick-in and the indicator lights on the RPS show that back-up
    power is applied.

    Great.

    Now, when restore AC power to the switches the two different switch
    types respond differently. With the 3750 (non-Gig) switches I can take
    each RPS offline and then put them back online and the indicators go to
    green, indicating the 3750 switches are powered on their own. This
    happens without a reboot.

    The 3750G switches, however, exhibit a different behavior; when I take
    the RPS offline after restoring AC power to the switches, as soon as I
    bring the RPS online the 3750G switch will reboot.

    Does anyone know a way to restore AC to the 3750G switches and to reset
    the RPS 675 to indicate the switch is on AC power WITHOUT forcing a
    reboot of the affected switch?

    Shouldn't the failback process be as glitch-free as the failover
    process? It's great that the RPS kicks-in and provides power, but
    having to reboot the switch to bring it back onto AC is an annoyance,
    since these switches are in a mission-critical workflow moving large
    quantities of uncompressed video. Not crippling, but still not an
    optimal situation. :)

    Thanks in advance for any input!

    TGPO, May 9, 2005

  2. That is a normal situation.
    Note The RPS 675 is designed to provide backup for internal
    power supply failures of connected device power supplies.
    It is not designed to act as a backup power source that protects
    against losses of power due to external power outages.
    Cisco recommend using an uninterruptable power system (UPS)
    as protection against power outages

    David Knechtenhofer, May 25, 2005