3750 SMI and EMI images?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by thefunnel, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. thefunnel

    thefunnel Guest

    Hi all,

    Would someone mind clarifying how the SMI and EMI images work on 3750
    switches? I have read the following in the 3750 software installation
    guide:

    The Catalyst 3750 switches are shipped with either of these software
    images installed:

    · Standard multilayer image (SMI), which provides Layer 2+ features
    (enterprise-class intelligent services). These features include access
    control lists (ACLs), quality of service (QoS), static routing, and the
    Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) and the Routing Information Protocol
    (RIP). Switches with the SMI installed can be upgraded to the EMI.

    · Enhanced multilayer image (EMI), which provides a richer set of
    enterprise-class intelligent services. It includes all SMI features
    plus full Layer 3 routing (IP unicast routing, IP multicast routing,
    and fallback bridging). To distinguish it from the Layer 2+ static
    routing and RIP, the EMI includes protocols such as the Enhanced
    Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP) and the Open Shortest Path
    First (OSPF) Protocol.

    We have been purchasing both EMI and SMI switches for use in the same
    stack. We have been using the "arc copy-sw" command to synchronise
    IOS versions across the switches.

    Does this mean we have been copying EMI images onto SMI switches? Or
    vice versa? Am I confusing images with IOS versions? Are they the same
    thing?

    Many thanks,

    Paul

    thefunnel, Nov 15, 2005

  2. thefunnel

    Wayne Guest

    Odds are you only *need* the SMI Version (now called IP Base). Are you
    using the 3750's for their routing functionality? EMI (now called IP
    Services, I think?) includes routing protocols, BGP, EIGRP, OSPF and other
    acronyms.

    Wayne, Nov 15, 2005

  3. hi paul,

    if you use the EMI or the SMI the hardware is always the same -
    so you can use both software. but you have to use the the same
    software on stack-member-groups.

    so if you use the "archive copy-sw" command you put the
    software from the device you are typing the command -
    to other switches within the stack-member-group.
    you should know if this software is EMI or SMI,
    because all other switches runn after reload this software.

    bye,
    /martin

    martin schneidhofer, Nov 19, 2005