3640, NAS, MICA, PRI, Telnet Delay, Dialup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Billy35, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. Billy35

    Billy35 Guest

    I have been tying to set up a NAS server using a cisco 3640 equipped
    with digital modems and a PRI link for our local business use. The
    specs from the cisco web site were originally used. Everything worked
    great except there was an initial delay when packet transfer starts.
    When doing a file transfer, the data-rates are fine, but in a Telnet
    session, there is delay between characters.
    Initially the system was configured using no loopback interface(used
    the fastethernet to reference the async group and dialer). It seemed
    to work fine other than the delay on telnet(even into the 3640 from the
    dialup) and the fact that ping would only work when doing data
    transfers or web browsing. Now I have tried the Loopback, and I have
    reached the point of diminishing eturns--it doesn't seem to work at
    all. You can log on and be verified and get an IP address, but you
    can't ping anything or access anything on the 192.168.2 network or
    beyond. I have deleted my usernames/passwords and the 4 csu/dsu T1/E1
    serial ports out of the config post since are turned down.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Sincerely,
    Newbie.

    no aaa new-model
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    !
    ip cef
    no ip domain lookup
    !
    async-bootp dns-server 192.168.1.22
    isdn switch-type primary-ni
    !
    !
    !
    controller T1 1/0
    framing esf
    linecode b8zs
    pri-group timeslots 1-24
    !
    !
    interface Loopback0
    ip address 192.168.4.1 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface Ethernet0/0
    no ip address
    logging event subif-link-status
    half-duplex
    !
    interface FastEthernet1/0
    ip address 192.168.2.6 255.255.255.0
    speed auto
    half-duplex
    !
    interface Serial1/0:23
    no ip address
    encapsulation ppp
    dialer rotary-group 0
    dialer-group 1
    isdn switch-type primary-ni
    isdn incoming-voice modem
    no keepalive
    no fair-queue
    no cdp enable
    !
    !
    interface Group-Async1
    ip unnumbered Loopback0
    encapsulation ppp
    no ip mroute-cache
    async mode interactive
    peer default ip address pool dialin
    no fair-queue
    ppp authentication chap pap dialin
    group-range 97 120
    !
    interface Dialer0
    ip unnumbered Loopback0
    encapsulation ppp
    no ip mroute-cache
    dialer in-band
    dialer-group 1
    peer default ip address pool dialin_pool
    no fair-queue
    no cdp enable
    ppp authentication chap pap dialin
    ppp multilink
    !
    router eigrp 1
    passive-interface Dialer0
    network 192.168.4.0
    no auto-summary
    !
    ip local pool dialin 192.168.4.2 192.168.4.12
    ip default-gateway 192.168.2.1
    no ip http server
    ip classless
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1
    !
    !
    dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
    !
    line con 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    logging synchronous
    line 97 120
    exec-timeout 0 0
    no vacant-message
    modem Dialin
    transport preferred telnet
    transport input all
    autoselect during-login
    autoselect ppp
    line aux 0

    !

    Billy35, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Billy35

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    Do you see any eigrp neighbors here??? (do a 'sh ip eigrp nei').

    Ivan Ostreš, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Hi,

    I experienced the same delay's you are experiencing. I wasn't using PRI
    though, just ordinary analog modem modules. My problem lay in the fact
    Windows dial-in clients didn't negotiate compression protocols correctly.
    Try a "compression ..." statement on your group-async interface and see if
    that helps. Disabling compression on the client-side also "solves" the
    problem but obviously isn't going to give you a real solution.
    All of this occured to me using an older IOS, 12.0(7)T, and should be have
    been fixed in later versions. (according to Cisco, haven't tried yet).

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Mar 2, 2005
  4. Billy35

    Billy35 Guest

    It was compression. After the compression was turned off in the PC the
    delay in the telnet sessions disappeared. Does anyone have a solution
    in which compression can remain? The IOS is 12.3(9).

    Thanks again.

    Billy35, Mar 2, 2005
  5. Billy35

    thrill5 Guest

    Add the statement "compress mppc" to interface group-async1. This will also
    fix the problem and you will still have compression enabled. This is a bug
    in the MS PPP stack, where it acknologes it will do stac compression (cisco
    default), when in fact it is really doing mppc comppression.

    Scott

    thrill5, Mar 3, 2005
  6. Billy35

    Billy35 Guest

    Thanks again for all the help-- when I added "compress mppc" to the
    interface, the same old problem still exists. Ping -t looks good for
    about 8 or nine pings and then starts timing out. Data transfer rates
    are good once it starts going. Telnet is fine as long as you don't let
    the session sit idle for more than a few seconds...if you do there is a
    two or three second delay when you start typing before the first
    character echos. With modem compression disabled in XP, it works fine
    for telnet, but the data rate suffers.

    Thanks.

    Billy35, Mar 7, 2005