    I double check my tftp server is working fine and the file location is okay.

    I also try it on rommon but I can't have it work.

    Did I miss anything?

    hdu, Jan 28, 2004

  2. hdu

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Can you ping the tftp server? Do you have FW program running on your
    PC?

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jan 29, 2004

  3. hdu

    hdu Guest

    The tftp server and the router is in same LAN segment and I tested the tftp
    server / the IOS images / copy procedure of router / actually copy other
    smaller file are okay.

    hdu, Jan 29, 2004
  4. hdu

    Hansang Bae Guest

    What tftp server are you using? Cisco's? Ditch it. Get something else
    like 3CDaemon, solarwinds, or kiwi.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jan 29, 2004
  5. hdu

    hdu Guest

    I use linux Redhat 9 that I try to download IOS image without any problem.

    hdu, Jan 29, 2004
  6. hdu

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Then rule out cabling issues. I can't think of anything beyond that.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jan 29, 2004
  7. Does the ROM support the type of interface your tftp server is behind?

    The IOS in ROM is what is used to tftp-load the 'real' image, and all
    interfaces that were designed later are just not there when running from
    ROM....

    --maarten

    Maarten Carels, Jan 30, 2004
  8. hdu

    hdu Guest

    The ROM version is :

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE
    SOFTWARE ()

    As far as I remember, there is no command under rommon relate to tftpdln or
    network interface. Do I need to upgrade the Bootstrap or what should I do to
    make my router tftp bootable.

    hdu, Jan 30, 2004
  9. hdu

    Joe Rankin Guest

    The only way to boot a 3600 series router from a TFTP server is to have
    an IOS in flash that will recognize the interface connected to the TFTP
    server and use a boot system tftp statement. At reload, the router will
    first load the IOS located in flash, recognize the interface, and then
    look for the file specified at the address specified in the boot system
    tftp statement. Once that file is found on the TFTP server, it will load
    it into RAM.
    If you don't have an IOS in flash, you'll have to use xmodem.

    Joe Rankin, Feb 1, 2004
  10. hdu

    hdu Guest

    how could I know that IOS image c3620-jk2o3s-mz.121-22.bin can be run from
    RAM?

    hdu, Feb 1, 2004
  11. hdu

    hdu Guest

    I got two error message from my router that they have a bootable IOS.

    %SYS-6-READ_BOOTFILE_FAIL: tftp://192.168.3.220/c3620-jk2o3s-mz.121-22.bin
    File.

    %SYS-6-BOOT_MESSAGES: Messages above this line are from the boot loader.

    and I am very sure the file is in a right location that I can use tftp to
    download.

    Also, my boot system is

    boot system tftp c3620-jk2o3s-mz.121-22.bin 192.168.3.220

    What I did wrongly.

    hdu, Feb 1, 2004
  12. hdu

    Joe Rankin Guest

    The boot system tftp statement looks correct. I would check these things:
    Can you ping the 192.168.3.220 address from the router while running the
    current IOS?
    Is the TFTP server up and running?
    Is the file in the root directory of the TFTP server?
    Is the filename spelled exactly correct (it's case sensitive)
    Is there enough RAM in the router to support the
    c3620-jk2o3s-mz.121-22.bin image? (It requires a minimum of 48 MB of RAM)

    Joe Rankin, Feb 2, 2004
  13. hdu

    hdu Guest

    The ip is okay,
    the ping is okay,
    current IOS can boot,
    tftp is up becuase I can copy other IOS file to same router,
    I double check and double check againt he spelling of all wording and
    the router has 64M RAM + 8M Flash.

    hdu, Feb 3, 2004
  14. hdu

    Joe Rankin Guest

    Is the tftp server machine connected directly to the router? If not, try
    connecting it directly to see if that makes a difference. Maybe there's
    an issue getting to the server on time at bootup.
    Also, on the filename thing - I've seen cases where an extra ..bin is
    appended to the file when downloaded with IE. You might want to rename
    it just to be sure.
    The only other thing I can think of is the iomem setting, if not enough
    is allocated to processor memory to boot the larger image. Let me know
    if any of this helps.

    Joe Rankin, Feb 4, 2004
  15. hdu

    Hansang Bae Guest

    You're using the Fa0/0 interface?

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Feb 4, 2004
  16. hdu

    hdu Guest

    I setup a sniffer on the ethernet port on the tftp server which suppose tftp
    traffic should appear.

    I saw alot of packets passing through when coping IOS image from the tftp
    server but none when boot the router from tftp.

    hdu, Feb 5, 2004