3550 switch + rate-limiting. Help!

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Mat Sharpe, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. Mat Sharpe

    Mat Sharpe Guest

    Ok, I have a 3550. Its running EMI code: c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-8.EA1c.bin

    I'm trying to apply some kind of rate-limit for one of my customers to stop
    them killing our bandwidth. The switch is operating purely as a Layer 2
    device, so no routing or anything clever.

    So far, from poking around in various places, I have come up with the
    following:

    !
    mls qos
    !
    class-map match-any any
    match any
    !
    !
    policy-map 64kbps
    class any
    police 64000 64000 exceed-action drop
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/24
    switchport access vlan 5
    switchport mode access
    no ip address
    duplex full
    speed 100
    service-policy input 64kbps
    service-policy output 64kbps
    no cdp enable

    But...it doesn't do anything!

    'show mls qos int fa0/24 stat' gives the following:
    FastEthernet0/24
    Ingress
    dscp: incoming no_change classified policed dropped (in bytes)
    Others: 900750579 841373 899909206 0 0
    Egress
    dscp: incoming no_change classified policed dropped (in bytes)
    Others: 1110768778 n/a n/a 0 0

    Which is nice, except 'dropped' shouldn't be zero, I would have thought! :)

    I can still transfer data at full speed in both directions.

    Any assistance gratefully recieved!

    Cheers,
    Mat

    Mat Sharpe, Jun 18, 2004

  2. Mat Sharpe

    Steinar Haug Guest

    ["Mat Sharpe"]

    | I'm trying to apply some kind of rate-limit for one of my customers to stop
    | them killing our bandwidth. The switch is operating purely as a Layer 2
    | device, so no routing or anything clever.
    |
    | So far, from poking around in various places, I have come up with the
    | following:
    |
    | !
    | mls qos
    | !
    | class-map match-any any
    | match any

    I've never gotten "match any" to work properly here. Try

    access-list 100 permit ip any any
    class-map match-any any
    match access-group 100

    In most cases you can also get the same effect with

    class-map match-any any
    match ip dscp 0

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Jun 18, 2004