    for another customer, cabling company is insisting on Cat 6.

    Looked long and hard on cco with no answer. Can anyone help?

    Thanks

    ZB, Nov 20, 2003

  2. ZB

    Hornet Guest

    Just rewired a 166,000 sq.ft. building with CAT6 and installed two new
    3550-48's.

    They currently have a mixture of CAT5 and CAT6 patch cables. I'll be
    upgrading all cables to CAT6 after the first of the year, but for the
    time being it's working just fine.

    Hornet, Nov 20, 2003

  3. ZB

    ZB Guest

    Thanks for the response, but 3550-48s are not inline power are they?

    ZB, Nov 20, 2003
  4. ZB

    Hornet Guest

    Opps .... no their not - sorry. I've been up all night and should
    know better than to speak before getting some sleep.

    Hornet, Nov 20, 2003
  5. ZB

    Brian V Guest

    ZB,
    It makes NO difference what-so-ever whether the cabling is cat5 or 6. It's
    still pined the same..... 1to1 2to2 etc etc. The only differnce between any
    of the cat standards is the number of twists per inch.
    -Brian

    Brian V, Nov 20, 2003
  6. ZB

    ZB Guest

    Thanks Brian. As suspected, scare mongering by an eager cable-suppleir who
    is looking for business!

    ZB, Nov 21, 2003
  7. [with respect to inline power]

    :> It makes NO difference what-so-ever whether the cabling is cat5 or 6.

    :Thanks Brian. As suspected, scare mongering by an eager cable-suppleir who
    :is looking for business!

    http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/af/
    in their "Power via MDI Objectives" paper, say specifically:

    7) Support current standard, 4-pair, horizontal cabling infrastructure
    for installed Cat 3 and Cat 5 cabling

    You could hint to that company that you will cut them out of future
    Cat5 bid, on the grounds that since power-over-ethernet works on
    Cat5, then their insistance on Cat6 must imply that they are not
    able to -properly- install Cat5.

    Walter Roberson, Nov 21, 2003
  8. ZB

    Andre Beck Guest

    Well, you don't want Cat5 anyway. What you want today is Cat5e. If they
    both want to force you to Cat6 and want to sell it more expensive than
    Cat5e, change the company. If they make it for a good price, go with it,
    Cat6 is better than Cat5e.
    It's probably not written there because it's thought implicit knowledge
    that if something works with Cat5, it will work with Cat6, too. Just
    make sure you get all four twisted pairs to each outlet, not only for
    later 1000BaseT deployment, but because power over ethernet requires
    the other two pairs for phantom and real supply voltage.

    Andre Beck, Nov 21, 2003
  9. Hello, Andre!
    You wrote on 21 Nov 2003 18:44:46 +0100:

    AB> Just make sure you get all four twisted pairs to each outlet, not only for
    AB> later 1000BaseT deployment, but because power over ethernet requires the
    AB> other two pairs for phantom and real supply voltage.

    It depends. End-span devices (Cisco switches with inline power as an example)
    supply power over 1/2, 3/6 pairs. Mid-span devices (power patch panels) - over
    pairs 4/5, 7/8. Both are part of 802.3af standard.

    http://www.nwfusion.com/links/Encyclopedia/0-9/4681.html

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Nov 21, 2003