352 Linux distros

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Lies. They aren't all Linux distributions.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Just go with top 10 or bleed. The bleeding edge hurts, most of the time:
    http://distrowatch.com/
    Yeah, it is not scientific, it is page hits.

    If you're used to change, then PCLinuxOS is supposed to be a good middle of
    the road, just works distro.
    Linux is not Windows.
    This makes Linux GUI looks like Windows:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxp/

    Dave Taylor, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rob Guest

    Hmmm. Only ~320 left to try.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.googlepages.com/linux_links

    Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount,
    fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep.

    Rob, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    -=rjh=- Guest

    True enough for general desktop use, but many distros are intended for
    specific tasks - forensics, media, servers, routers, anonymity,
    education, etc or for specific hardware (WRT54G, etc). No wonder there
    are so many of them.

    -=rjh=-, Dec 18, 2006
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Phil Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 18/12/06 8.10 p:
    I spot 10 BSDs.

    So... which one is the best?

    -Phil

    Phil, Dec 18, 2006
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    No wonder Linux is in so much trouble. 352 different versions?? That's
    just ridiculous.

    Ever heard of "standardisation"?

    No wonder nothing ever works properly in the Linux world...

    Fred Dagg, Dec 18, 2006
  8. Solaris is in there as well. Given how many non-Linux platforms are in
    there, I half expected to find Windows as well, or at least the ReactOS
    Windows clone. ReactOS is at least GPL licensed, and therefore probably
    a better candidate for incorrect inclusion in this list than any of the
    BSDs is.

    Tried Linux, didn't work. Tried FreeBSD, and never bothered with Linux
    again (except to run VMWare).

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 18, 2006
  9. DNFTT.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2006
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    Nothing ever works? I've been running Linux (with KDE) as my sole operating
    system (no dual boot) for over 5 years now, and my productivity is much
    higher than it is in the odd case when I use a clients Windows workstation.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Dec 18, 2006
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Sorry, Allistar - comment was not intended to you. As it happens I
    manage a number of Linux boxes too, however I've resolved to reply to
    LdO's pathetic trolling posts with equally stupid comments.

    Fred Dagg, Dec 19, 2006
  12. Hi there,

    Yes I have. If MS and its OS were truly based on standards
    why are there so many other OS's that cannot use these so
    called standards?
    How old are you? 8?

    What a stupid statement. Its not even worth a rebuttal.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 19, 2006
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Who Am I Guest

    Whizzzz... damn those fish are big in Aussie...lol

    Who Am I, Dec 19, 2006
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Who Am I Guest

    Actually the biggest surprise that that an Aussie could count past
    20.... OK, 21 for guys with their pants off...lol :)

    Who Am I, Dec 19, 2006
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    lol... fair cop.

    Fred Dagg, Dec 19, 2006
  16. Hi there,
    Fred forgot the obligatory smily...how am I supposed to
    know he's just teasing? :)

    There you go, another Windows user neglecting an established
    'standard', by not using a smily to indicate a non-serious
    reply... :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 19, 2006
  17. Hi there,
    An Aussie? Hell, I might live there but I certainly don't come from
    there! My first 34 years were spent in the Republic of the South
    Island of Aotearoa! I'm only here in Oz cos the Aussies like paying
    me lots of money! :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 19, 2006
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Retail software from many different companies clearly states which OS will
    run the software.

    Obvious using an OS that isn't used by everyone in the world is bad
    business. If you wanted to sell software you've developed you'd go after
    the largest market possible as well.

    Like it not Windows rules because it quickly got established as being the
    most compatible OS around.

    What OS comes with more new PCs than any other PC OS?

    There's a damn good reason for the very obvious answer. PC manufacturers
    don't have to use Microsoft at all - they freely choose to use Microsoft in
    order to sell PCs that are fully compatible with most PC software that on
    the market.

    You have no idea that running business relies on selling goods that will
    bring money back to the business.

    This group is full of stupid statements by 5 year olds who play with Linux
    but mostly waste all their time searching the net for any dirst against
    Windows

    Just like their name these particular Linux users start with the "L" - the
    reason being is that the word "Loser" also starts with the same letter.
    Young Lawrence is the biggest Linux loser of all - it's advertised in most
    of his childish posts.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 19, 2006
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Who Am I Guest

    As the Speights ad goes "Good on ya mate"

    Who Am I, Dec 19, 2006
  20. Hi there,

    Compatible with itself, and little else.
    MS have a history of offering deals to the likes of IBM, Dell, Compaq,
    and other big players in the OEM market - deals that usually offer the
    OEM's discounted Windows licences, in return for the OEM ditching their
    support for Linux. Offering discounts is fine, but making the removal of
    competing OS software a condition of that discount is hardly fair cop.

    The OEM's 'choice' is far more conditional than you could ever imagine
    or comprehend.
    Really? Gosh darn I never knew that...

    It appears that you do not understand the concept that Linux is less
    about selling Linux, and more about what Linux can offer to clients,
    without the overheads like the cost of licensing prevalent with the
    Windows OS. MS cannot compete with the price structure offered by
    Linux, which is why it resorts to fighting dirty with OEM's, patents,
    and other anti-competitive behaviours.
    You forgot your smiley. If you're being serious in what you say above
    I can only assume you're about 8 years old, because its pretty childish
    and nonsensical.

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 19, 2006