    ports -
    Since I don't have one to use,
    could someone clarify what he ran into ?

    Phil Schuman, Mar 16, 2005

  2. He said "it wanted to"? Was he using the inital configuration dialog
    in the IOS or perhaps the GUI interface? To be honest, I have never
    trusted the initial configuration dialog in IOS, especially not for
    the IOS layer-2 switches.

    The 3500XL is a layer-2 switch so you don't assign IP addresses to the
    interfaces, only the VLAN interface gets and IP address and only one
    VLAN can have an active IP address at a time, for management purposes.

    Good Luck,
    Robert

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Mar 17, 2005

  3. Phil Schuman

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    You *can* add ip address to each interface since nobody bothered to
    remove that possibility from IOS, but putting IP addresses on intf's is
    useless since it is a layer 2 switch and can have just management
    address under management (vlan) interface.

    Ivan Ostreš, Mar 17, 2005