    Some of those cheap plans are like buying a car with no engine. You
    can save some money that way and it'll work fine just so long as you're
    going downhill.

    Annika1980, Feb 26, 2006

  2. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    It is clear that you weren't even aware of the $100 diference when you
    started shooting your mouth off about costs.

    Mark², Feb 26, 2006

  3. Again, what is so important about unlimited bandwidth? Are you making money
    off it? If so more power to you. If not, who cares whether you run out of
    bandwidth? Do you actually know what bandwidth you need?

    You started this with a statement bordering on the ridiculous, just to be
    inflammatory no doubt, "A more likely scenario is that Nikon users are
    mostly too stupid to figure out how to post images on pbase." Now, you move
    to personal attacks. I'd wish nothing more in this world for my site to be
    for Grandma to view, as that would mean she has been a part of my life for
    the last 25 years and still is.

    Pbase is fine for those that want to use it. For some of us it's not
    enough.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 26, 2006
  4. Bill Hilton

    SMS Guest

    Pbase is no great deal if you need more than the 900MB account. My
    hosting service offers unlimited storage, and unmetered bandwidth (not
    unlimited, clear abuse is not okay) for $100/year.

    SMS, Feb 26, 2006
  5. Bill Hilton

    rafe b Guest

    First off, there are $4/month plans that will do
    just fine. Hosting services keep getting cheaper
    all the time, and I hadn't even noticed how cheap
    they can be nowadays. At $10/mo, I may be paying
    too much, but I'm just too lazy to switch hosts,
    and really quite happy where I am.

    Second, I can't believe you can say with a straight
    face that $2 or $4 per month is going to have a
    noticeable impact on your budget. That difference
    won't even buy one ink cart or one pack of paper
    for your Epson 4000.

    If you don't have the time, inclination, patience,
    or skill to research a hosting service, register
    a domain name, and set up a website, that's
    another matter. If you can't appreciate the
    benefits of having your own site and domain,
    that's another matter also.

    But spare me the "economics" argument, because,
    coming from you or Bret, it reeks of hypocrisy.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Feb 26, 2006
  6. Bill Hilton

    rafe b Guest

    Mark-squared thinks he's going to be the next amazon.com.

    Here's what my hosting service says about "unlimited bandwidth" :

    ---
    We offer "un-metered" transfer(bandwidth). Is this the same thing as
    "un-limited"? Not at all. Beware of anyone offering "unlimited"
    bandwidth. No quality webhost can offer unlimited bandwidth.

    We offer fast, un-throttled, true burstable bandwidth. We do not place
    limits on your site's bandwidth (many hosts offer "unlimited"
    bandwidth but severely restrict the number of kbytes/second flowing
    out of your website). We work very hard to ensure that all of our
    customers bandwidth needs can be met under our $9.95/month plan,
    however we do have several important restrictions:

    * No porn
    * No warez (aka pirated/cracked software)
    * No file archives/download only sites

    rafe b, Feb 26, 2006
  7. Bill Hilton

    Annika1980 Guest

    But spare me the "economics" argument, because,
    That's silly. The fact that PW and I both use Pbase has no bearing on a
    discussion of the costs involved, does it? Mark may have a personal web
    space in addition to his Pbase account for all I know. And since you
    have a website, but don't use Pbase, your arguments coming from the
    other side of the tracks are no less hypocritical.

    To imply that we don't have some skill needed to set up a webspace (as
    if!) is another stretch. That takes no special skills. I use Pbase
    because it does what I want it to .... it's quick, easy, has a nice
    interface and cheaper than most anything else out there. You can even
    customize it to use as a business site if you wish, but I obviosuly
    don't have the mad skillz needed for that.

    Annika1980, Feb 26, 2006
  8. Bill Hilton

    Annika1980 Guest

    Pbase is fine for those that want to use it. For some of us it's not
    That statement gets no argument from me.

    Annika1980, Feb 26, 2006
  9. Bill Hilton

    Annika1980 Guest

    Again, what is so important about unlimited bandwidth? Are you making money
    When I switched to Bellsouth DSL a few years ago, they offered a
    certain amount of storage to host your own personal website. I
    uploaded a few pics and videos and the next day was getting messages
    telling me I'd exceeded my bandwidth limit. So in other words, as long
    as nobody was visiting my site, I was OK. So what's the point of
    having a website anyway?

    Annika1980, Feb 26, 2006
  10. Bill Hilton

    rafe b Guest

    Because those "free" websites you get from your
    ISP (eg., Verizon, Earthlink, et. al.) are a joke.

    What Ed and I are talking about is the real thing.

    Again: it's like the difference between renting
    an apartment and owning a home. Minimal
    responsibility and freedom (renting) or
    a maximum of both (your own site.)

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Feb 26, 2006
  11. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    Why is this only applicable to my financial situation?
    Truth or inaccuracy remain as important conversational elements whether
    you're talking about my wallet or yours.
    It's always been amusing to me when people assume that because you have some
    decent equipment...that you cease to care about all economic questions.
    Being accurate in one's statements has nothing to do with affordability. As
    for interest, I looked into the 1&1 site thoroughly and could not find a
    single mention of bandwidth. Monthly limits, yes. Bandwidth? No. Perhaps
    someone who uses them can comment, because I just couldn't fine it. It
    seems to me that if they offered high bandwidth, they'd say so.

    Mark², Feb 26, 2006
  12. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    One more comment:

    Much of the problem in this thread stems from your statements that
    erroneously imply a connection between the use of Pbase...and ignorance.
    That suggestion in itself is so assumptive, I can think only that you are
    not a careful thinker...at least not in this particular instance. I notice
    that you're keeping close track of my purchases, and wonder if you harbor
    some oddball grudge...but whatever your mindset, your injection of
    assumptive insults hasn't served any purpose here...nor has it answered any
    issue.

    Mark², Feb 26, 2006
  13. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    Do you have a link for this service?
    By "bandwidth" do you mean download speed...or download quantity?
    Can you clarify what you are referring to? (Terms get used differently
    around here :)
    I would want a host that delivers both high bandwidth and a reasonably high
    traffic/data allowance (if not unlimited) per month, etc.

    One thing I like about Pbase is that in the event that a particular image
    becomes highly sought (like the tsunami images of a year ago, for example),
    your service isn't impacted. I recall images of a young man cought in a
    wash generating literally millions of page views from around the world.
    With most services that I'm aware of, this would have been shut down
    automatically. Pbase doesn't do that.

    Mark², Feb 26, 2006
  14. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    Regarding bandwidth and its potential impmortance:

    Mark², Feb 26, 2006
  15. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    Yet another silly, unprovoked statement from rafe there...

    Again, thoughts on why bandwidth can matter:

    Mark², Feb 26, 2006
  16. Bill Hilton

    SMS Guest

    http://phpwebhosting.com/

    However looking at their site, I now see that to go over 500MB you have
    to request more space. They used to automatically just allow you to
    increase your space.

    So I shouldn't have said "unlimited." They probably aren't going to give
    you 100GB! So maybe this isn't a good plan for massive photo archives.
    just 1000 2MB images is already 2GB.

    SMS, Feb 26, 2006
  17. Bill Hilton

    rafe b Guest

    Aw, C'mon Mark. It started out by someone pointing
    out how cheap PBase is. $23 a year, I think I saw
    somewhere.

    Then someone else noted that some real hosting
    services were available at $4.00/month. Ie.,
    an additional $25 per year.

    From there it went to some "premium" hosting
    services, at $10/month, or $120 per year.

    Oh, and to be fair, we'd have to talk about
    the domain name registration, but that can
    be had for $15 or less.

    I don't really know or care about your household
    budget, but seem to recall your mention of an
    Epson 4000, and I know what the carts cost for
    one of those beasties.

    You've also posted knowledgeably on the subject
    of DSLRs, which typically cost $1000 to $1500
    or even more. Not to mention those nice Canon
    lenses, RAW converters, etc. etc.

    The point is, Mark, that the costs of a hosting
    service are small change compared to the cost
    of all the other tools and toys that we talk
    about, day after day, ad nauseum, on this forum.

    PBase is easy and cheap. Nothing wrong with
    that. If you're looking to make a "professional"
    presence on the web, it's a bit low brow.

    Enough from me on this subject. Next topic.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Feb 26, 2006
  18. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    My questions have repeatedly asked about bandwidth and traffic limitations.
    That is my #1 issue when I consider a photo website of my own. Though I
    don't have much experience in mastering a site, I am completely capable of
    this and only have misgivings about the above issues. If I'm going to pour
    my efforts into a quality site, I don't want to have the thought in the back
    of my mind that if it becomes widely viewed...that it will lock folks out.

    That's really my main issue/question.

    Mark², Feb 26, 2006
  19. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    Thanks for the link.

    I looked into it, but here's the part about traffic that is a little sticky:

    " Family photo albums, or other general purpose photo galleries are almost
    always fine. Our restrictions are mainly against an archive of photos, for
    example, of music artists, tv clips, or other types of archives that attract
    a large amount of traffic and cause problems for all the other users on the
    server. "

    Especially the part about "large amounts of traffic."
    This is the sticking point that Pbase is completely free of.

    Hmmm...
    It seems that it's hard to find a comparable service in terms of upward
    traffic limits.
    :(

    Mark², Feb 26, 2006
  20. Bill Hilton

    rafe b Guest

    Who needs 100 GB? Are you planning to compete
    with Amazon or BH?

    This is a freaking hosting service, for crying
    out loud. It's not meant as an archive or
    repository for your entire collection of film
    scans and digicam snaps. There are much better
    tools for that.

    If you know anything about the web, you know
    that folks don't hang around, or come back, if
    it takes more than a few seconds to reach or to
    load the desired page.

    You don't build a commercial website loaded
    with large, uncompressed images. If you don't
    build it with respect for your users' bandwidth,
    your enterprise will go nowhwere fast.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphto.com

    rafe b, Feb 26, 2006