300D + Sigma 70-300 or Canon 100-300?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marcel Alsemgeest, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I recently bought a Canon EOS 300D and now I want to buy a telelens with
    decent range to be able to make pictures of more or less distant animals and
    other interesting subjects in the distance. I have searched for information
    and prices on zoom telelenses and have narrowed my options to the:
    - Sigma 70-300/4.0-5.6 APO Macro Super II;
    - Canon EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 USM.

    Both are priced about equally and seem to get relatively good reviews (taken
    into account that these are relatively cheap lenses). My budget is limited
    so the often recommended L-lenses are no options. I have found comparisons
    between different lenses, with example pictures to show the differences in
    image quality. That's how I filtered most of the lenses away and ended up
    with these two options. They are about equally priced with the Canon lens
    only some 50 Euro's above the Sigma. But now I need to make a choice: should
    I go for the Canon or the Sigma? I haven't been able to find good
    comparisons between these two lenses. Maybe someone in this group knows
    these types of lenses and is willing to give me advice on which to buy to
    use with the EOS 300D. Any help is greatly appreciated!

    Marcel
    The Netherlands

    Marcel Alsemgeest, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Marcel Alsemgeest

    YoYo Guest

    Go for the Canon Lens! How can you go
    wrong when it is the same brand? :+)

    YoYo, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Marcel Alsemgeest

    jean Guest

    Add a few $ and go for the Canon 75-300 f4-5,6 with IS, worth every penny.

    Jean

    jean, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Marcel Alsemgeest

    Skip M Guest

    All things being equal, stick with Canon. The Sigma lacks their version of
    USM, called HSM, the Canon has true ring motor USM, which is fast and quiet.

    Skip M, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Sigma makes the 3 best lenses available in this range, the first is
    the 120-300mm EX with a constant f/2.8, but it sells for up to $2500,
    the second is actually a tad sharper but a stop slower and goes for
    around $800, thankfully the world's third place lens in this range is
    the Sigma 70-300 APO you mention above, and it's only $200. Here
    you'll find them rated next to Canon L, which is not remotely
    competive with anything but the Sigma 70-300 APO, and even compared to
    that Canon L glass loses...

    http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

    The cheaper Canon lens you are considering should be avoided. Even
    the 70-300 in Sigma's 24-70/70-300 two lens starter kit is as good.
    In fact the 24-70 in that kit is an outstanding lens for the money, so
    you'll definitely want to buy that first. The Sigma two lens kit is
    $150 in total.
    Realize that most Canon users seem to feel the need to rationalize
    their expense. Canon L glass is not competitive in the range you
    want, although the Canon 300mm IS L prime is a very nice lens.

    Georgette Preddy, Aug 13, 2004
  6. Marcel Alsemgeest

    Rick Guest

    Can you manage to stretch your budget to $500? Because if you can, you can
    find the Canon 70-200 f4 L lens for that price used on ebay or photo forums
    for sale boards on the internet.

    Rick, Aug 13, 2004
  7. In that case, you'd be crazy not to get the Sigma 70-200 EX with a constant f/2.8.

    Georgette Preddy, Aug 14, 2004
  8. I agree. After the piece of junk has fallen apart in short order he'll
    have learned a valuable lesson in life...don't buy crap.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 14, 2004
  9. I actually did learn that lesson the hard way when the permanent
    cardboard lens hood on my Canon 300mm L prime was partially partly
    torn off by a twig. Now my $1450 lens has $0 resale.

    Georgette Preddy, Aug 16, 2004
  10. Marcel Alsemgeest

    Big Bill Guest

    I'll give you $10 plus actual shipping costs for it.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Aug 16, 2004
  11. Marcel Alsemgeest

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,

    JPS, Aug 16, 2004
  12. Man talk about SPF 6,000 You must have some thick skin ;-)
    Sorry couldn't resist.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    Gregory Blank, Aug 17, 2004
  13.
    Georgette Preddy, Aug 23, 2004
  14. Plus it is steel, not cardboard. Parts of Canon's pricey $1500 300mm
    L prime are cardboard.

    Georgette Preddy, Aug 23, 2004
  15. Amazing! You're both right *and* full of shit in the same sentence.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 23, 2004
  16. Marcel Alsemgeest

    Steve Dell Guest

    I couldn't agree more. Especially, if you don't have a tripod, you should be
    able to hand hold this one reasonably well.

    Steve

    Steve Dell, Aug 23, 2004
  17. Well, yes, that may have been a little high, the cardboard tubed Canon
    L 300mm L goes for around $1400 street.

    Georgette Preddy, Aug 25, 2004
  18. Marcel Alsemgeest

    HooDooWitch Guest

    (Georgette Preddy) somehow managed to post:
    For best results, take the equipment *out* of the box.

    HooDooWitch, Aug 25, 2004
  19. The $1400 Canon's tube is made of painted cardboard, so it's
    definitley best to leave this lens in the box for protection.

    Georgette Preddy, Aug 26, 2004
  20. Marcel Alsemgeest

    Summitar Guest

    Shut up, Preddy