300D Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lisa Horton, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Lisa Horton

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Got the phone call today, so I grabbed a battery, card, and checkbook
    and headed to the local camera store. Don't know how many they had
    ordered, but they got 6, 3 kits and 3 bodies.

    At first heft, the thing that I noticed was the rigidity. I've owned
    modern Rebels, and they are just not rigid cameras. This camera is.
    It's light, but not "overly" light. It does look better than in
    pictures, although it's still silver. What doesn't really show in the
    photos is that it's a darker silver, which is very welcome.

    Going through the menus and setting things up, the menu structure
    reminded me of a Canon consumer digicam, not like the DSLR's. The lack
    of a rear dial wasn't very inconvenient, the small size of the camera
    made using the main dial feel right. The main buttons fell well to
    hand. One nice feature is that you can navigate the menus using either
    the main dial or the "joypad" buttons on the back. The joypad buttons
    may actually be a more convenient way of navigating around a zoomed
    image.

    The grip is nearly perfectly sized for me, more comfortable but equally
    secure as the 10D or D30. The size and shape of the camera puts my nose
    against the vertical row of buttons instead of the LCD, and I've already
    accidentally pushed a button with my (admittedly large) nose. Having
    the status LCD on the back instead of the top is less convenient, IMHO,
    but I can see how it helps to allow the overall size to be smaller.

    The 18-55 lens is very light, but not as compact as one might think.
    The lens, and the 300D body have a new, different, square white
    alignment mark instead of the traditional Canon red dot, although the
    body does have a small red dot on the metal lens mount itself. The lens
    is surprisingly quiet when focussing, and the focus speed seems quicker
    than the other Canon kit lenses I've tried.

    The only thing that doesn't seem solid on the camera is the pop up
    flash, which feels flimsy and loose. One thing that is a very welcome
    change is that the CF write LED is on the back of the camera where you
    can see it, instead of on the side, under your hand.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Lisa Horton

    Brothermark Guest

    I'm sorry I havent' commented on anything else but I have to point out that
    I hate how modern gadgets are still in that horrible silver colour. I want a
    nice matt black or other discrete shades.

    The OLY C-3000 (etc) have nice colours.

    Anyway, carry on

    Brothermark, Sep 18, 2003

  3. Sounds excellent ty for the post. I just ordered mine today, cant wait to
    get my hands on it. Will be waiting for more impressions i hope.

    Grace Frehley, Sep 18, 2003
  4. Just got mine today and agree with everything you say. After using a
    Toshiba PDR-M70, this one felt like a real camera. The ergonomics were
    actually quite good. Took a few shots with the kit lens. I was
    impressed with the sharpness of the pictures, especially when printed
    at 8x10.

    Can't wait for the other lenses to arrive and to have time to give a
    real workout. Bottom line is that I am really impressed.

    James Cassatt, Sep 19, 2003
  5. Heya Lisa,

    I'll be interested to hear your reports on the 300D as you put it to
    use. I finally put together my 10D kit, started working with it last
    night, and I'm very pleased so far. Thank you for your comments about
    it, they were helpful.

    Now to go take some pictures! ;-)

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Sep 20, 2003
  6. Lisa Horton

    Sexy Susan Guest

    Let's hear your review of the kit lens.

    Sexy Susan, Sep 21, 2003
  7. Lisa Horton

    Lisa Horton Guest

    I've not used it extensively, but I did shoot some test shots. It's
    absolutely a step up from the typical Canon kit lens in terms of
    sharpness and contrast. A pleasant surprise. The focussing is
    surprisingly quiet for non USM. But it is slow.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Sep 21, 2003
  8. Lisa Horton

    eddie.m Guest

    I want a white one :) Black cameras get hot in the sun and hot sensors are
    noiser than cool ones.
    Eddie.M

    eddie.m, Oct 4, 2003
  9. True. Leave a black Oly in the summer sun for 15 minutes and it asks
    you if you want to reformat the card or power off. At least leaky
    pixels aren't much of an issue in the summer sun.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Oct 13, 2003