300d how do you keep the screen scratch free?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven Campbell, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. How do folk keep their screen scratch free? Do you use a screen protector?

    I was used to a Canon EOS 100 hanging around my neck but doing the same with
    the 300d would just create loads of scratches instantly.

    Steven Campbell, Jan 25, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Steven Campbell

    eawckyegcy Guest

    Actually, it doesn't. Even if it did, though, who cares? Did you buy
    a museum piece, or a tool?
    eawckyegcy, Jan 25, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Steven Campbell

    railfan Guest

    I bought a package of clear screen protectors intended for PDAs and cut
    a piece to fit the LCD on my Digital Rebel. I found out later there
    are ones especially made for digital cameras.

    I saw a message posted somewhere for a hard plastic protector made
    specially for the DigiReb, and ordered one. Really nice, attaches with
    double sided tape strips. I haven't applied it yet as the screen
    protector seems to be doing an OK job, and I was concerned with this
    rather thick piece of plastic on the back of the camera getting caught
    in clothing when carrying the camera. Anyway you can check out the
    site and see for yourself: http://www.daproducts.com/index.htm

    Not very expensive and might be just what you need!

    Bob Boudreau
    railfan, Jan 25, 2005
  4. Steven Campbell

    C J Campbell Guest

    Well, the Nikon D70 comes with one. What do you want to bet that 99% of D70
    owners never bother to replace the screen protector when its scratched?
    C J Campbell, Jan 25, 2005
  5. Well considering how poor the image on those screens are normally, I
    don't think I would want to degrade it more with a "protector" on it.

    I really like the commercial for the auto insurance company of the guy
    wrapping his car in bubble wrap so he will be safe without insurance. Yea.
    Joseph Meehan, Jan 25, 2005
  6. Steven Campbell

    JCToronto Guest

    I've been posting for years in PDA, Cellphone and digicam forums
    whenever this issue comes up about the perfect protector that is dirt
    cheap... Older han digital too.

    Any art store will carry it - its a long role of thin, transparent
    vinyl film that's used is meant to be used as a protective cover on
    books, cupboard shelves etc... Its very cheap and comes in a long role
    providing more than you'd ever need.
    I have no idea what it's called... tons of companies make it.

    JCToronto, Jan 25, 2005
  7. Steven Campbell

    JCToronto Guest

    Incidentally, its also used to "preserve" unfinished
    drawings/paintings... in case you want to ask for it... I use it for
    all my gadgets - It hardly distorts the screen at all (depending on the
    manufacturer - different thincknesses)

    JCToronto, Jan 25, 2005
  8. Any idea at all what its called?
    Steven Campbell, Jan 25, 2005
  9. Steven Campbell

    sid derra Guest

    depending on the manufacturer you also might get nasty residue or even
    chemical reactions with the plalank stic screen. i know it usually goes good
    for a while - but what about a year from now? just raising issues... bwindow
    clings seem to be a good idea to me, as they arent as adhesive and can
    easily be swapped.

    sid derra, Jan 25, 2005
  10. Steven Campbell

    Frank ess Guest

    I wonder if the self-cling plastic sold to make window decals on inkjet
    printers would be useful. I haven't looked lately, but it seems to me it
    was a dollar or less per 8 1/2 by 11 sheet, and if cutting up one
    demonstrates it doesn't work, you can print some sunshine catchers for
    the kitchen window. Don't forget to reverse the image, or you'll be
    posting the things outdoors, or backwards.
    Frank ess, Jan 26, 2005
  11. Steven Campbell

    Bob Lashley Guest

    The poster didn't ask about this, but be cautious next summer about
    various insect repellants (especially containing deet) and handling
    plastics. I once put a good dose on, then picked up my cellphone
    only to have the display melt in my hand. It's worth testing this on
    a transparent protector sheet before attaching one to the camera.

    Bob Lashley, Jan 26, 2005
  12. Steven Campbell

    Chris Brown Guest

    I just don't worry about it. My 10D has taken a fair bit of ordinary wear
    and tear from being hung around my neck over the last few years and is still
    Chris Brown, Jan 26, 2005
  13. Steven Campbell

    mortn Guest

    Is a screen protector available for the 300D?
    mortn, Jan 26, 2005
  14. Steven Campbell

    Chris G Guest

    Frank, I've been using the window decal sheets for years, they are perfect
    for screen covers. You can cut em to any size you want. Once you get the
    size you want all it takes is one tiny drop of water to slide it exactly
    into position (make sure emulsion side is up) after it's on there good and
    dry take a damp rag and wipe off the emulsion (that would have been printed
    on). They are crystal clear and remove with no residue at all.
    Chris G, Jan 26, 2005
  15. Steven Campbell

    railfan Guest

    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, one is available:

    Bob Boudreau
    railfan, Jan 27, 2005
  16. Steven Campbell

    MitchAlsup Guest

    "How do folk keep their screen scratch free?"

    A) try not to touch the screen
    B) about 1/2 of the scratches come from use
    C) the other 1/2 come from trying to keep the screen free from oil and

    So, if you can see the data on the screen don't bother to clean it.
    When it does need a cleaning, treat it as a very expensive device and
    clean it carefully without using any pressure whatsoever during the
    cleaning process. Don't bother to get it "fresh from the factory clean".
    MitchAlsup, Jan 27, 2005
  17. There are protective foils available, which can be sticked on the screen.
    Later they can be peeled off, if a new one is needed.

    A.F. Hobbacher, Jan 27, 2005
  18. Chris any links to that? Sounds interesting.
    Steven Campbell, Jan 28, 2005
  19. Steven Campbell

    Frank ess Guest

    I have a package of
    New Color Ink Jet
    Window Decals ...
    Reorder 3R5499"

    This is five or six years old, so you may find they are out of catalog,
    or obsolete, or both.

    They have a 1/4" grid for alignment purposes.
    Frank ess, Jan 28, 2005
  20. Steven Campbell

    Chris G Guest

    Steven you can buy packages of window decal sheets at pretty much anywhere
    that sells printer paper and all that greeting card paper, many companys
    make it I know there is one package from Crayola and Royal. It might be
    called cling something too just check out any local Office Depot, Office
    Max, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart or Target.......you will find it.
    Chris G, Jan 28, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.