  1. David

    David Guest

    Thanks for the insight!

    David, Aug 12, 2004

  2. David

    David Guest

    I used to install Flowpoints using BANA circuits from the phone company, so
    I could probably pull that off if I can get the wire run. My preference
    would be fiber or wireless, simply so that I do not need to be concerned
    with lightning.

    David, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Hello, David!
    You wrote on Thu, 12 Aug 2004 03:26:54 GMT:

    D> I used to install Flowpoints using BANA circuits from the phone
    D> company, so I could probably pull that off if I can get the wire
    D> run. My preference would be fiber or wireless, simply so that I
    D> do not need to be concerned with lightning.

    You mentioned some woods between the buildings. Foliage may be a problem with a
    wireless link. Fiber is definitely superior solution but what's about cost?
    Fiber is not cheap.

    My bet would be on SDSL/HDSL equipment.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Aug 12, 2004
  4. David

    John Oliver Guest

    Trenching is even less cheap! :)

    John Oliver, Aug 12, 2004
  5. David

    MC Guest

    Thanks, I may need to keep thin in mind, did not realize you could run those
    back-to-back conigfuration without a DSLAM or other headend unit ? If that
    works could be useful for me.

    MC, Aug 12, 2004
  6. David

    MC Guest

    Depending on the type, Fiber is cheaper sometimes than copper per foot in
    bulk.

    The costs are
    termination
    installation labor
    right-of-way/lease access
    trenching

    If existing access is avialable, enough room in conduit, can get appropriate
    length pre-terminated and pull it yourself if know how properly.

    perfer dedicated Flexible Conduit conduit or installing the Flexible Conduit
    inside larger conduit that contains existing cables so teh fiber would not
    get tangled with other cables and is easier to pull through Flexible
    Conduit.

    MC, Aug 12, 2004
  7. Sort of.

    I give you fuel sold in litres, but economy measured in miles per gallon,
    milk still sold in pints although labelled in litres, albeit fractions of
    litres which oddly represent multiples of 1 pint, meat sold by the pound,
    the "Thousand Guineas" race which used pre-decimal coinage for prize money,
    horse races measured in furlongs, property area still measured in acres for
    advertisment and almost nobody knowing what a hectare looks like.

    Money went metric a couple of decades back. Everything else is more or less
    a matter of preference.

    P.

    Paul S. Brown, Aug 12, 2004
  8. David

    stephen Guest

    Er - didnt we go metric a couple of decades back?

    stephen, Aug 12, 2004
  9. David

    stephen Guest

    does the town have phone wiring between the 2 buildings?

    Net 2 Net technologies (among others) has SDSL modems that will work back to
    back.

    These things present as 10/100 Ethernet at the modem, so easy to hook up in
    your kind of application.

    you should be able to get 1.5 Km or more on telephone quality twisted pair.

    stephen, Aug 12, 2004