    woods and across an unpaved parking lot. What would be the lowest cost
    reliable option to achieve this connection?

    Thanks for any suggestions!

    David, Aug 11, 2004

  2. David

    slrn Guest

    Wi-fi --wireless connection. Setup the base, get the NIC (wireless).
    Depends on the router and model, etc. but if you're only talking about
    1 PC (for Internet no doubt?).

    slrn, Aug 11, 2004

  3. David

    none Guest

    Is this a "life-critical" system or for non-critical access? If it's for
    non-critical access, setup a VPN through the Internet using a PIX at the
    town hall and the Cisco VPN client at the firehouse - both locations need
    Internet access - you can use a dynamic DNS service to allow for a
    non-static IP at both ends if you don't have the money for a static at the
    town hall.

    none, Aug 11, 2004
  4. David

    David Guest

    I don't believe that Wi-fi will make it 300 yards. I know that my 802.11g
    does not even make it 300 feet.

    David, Aug 11, 2004
  5. David

    David Guest

    The volunteer fire department is trying to save money by sharing the town
    office's cable modem connection. I suspect that it would be cheaper to pay
    for an additional cable connection. So far, what I suggested that they do
    is write Internet access for the town hall, fire department and school into
    the cable company's next contract with the town and forget about stringing
    the offices together directly.

    This is not a life critical system.

    David, Aug 11, 2004
  6. David

    Jeff C Guest

    With the proper antenna 802.11b or g can reach several miles.

    Jeff C, Aug 11, 2004
  7. David

    Hansang Bae Guest

    WI-FI with yagi antenna's (or pringle cans).

    http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Aug 11, 2004
  8. David

    John Oliver Guest

    One possibility... there are DSL endpoints that you can make talk to
    each other without a DSLAM. You can see if the town govt can sweettalk
    the phone company into providing dry copper at each location and doing
    this. I remember reading an article about someone doing this back in
    late 2000/early 2001

    But the wireless idea is probably the easiest and cheapest.

    John Oliver, Aug 11, 2004
  9. I assume this is one of these "only American answers, please" questions.

    OTOH you apparently have enough takers, so it shouldn't matter to you.

    Regards

    Christoph Weber-Fahr

    Christoph Weber-Fahr, Aug 11, 2004
  10. David

    none Guest

    Why is that?

    none, Aug 11, 2004
  11. David

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    I assume (as an europeean) that "yards" were in question :).

    Ivan Ostres, Aug 11, 2004

  12. Oy! Britain is in Europe too and uses yards.

    P.

    Paul S. Brown, Aug 11, 2004
  13. David

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    Yes, I know that. Britain acts like not being in Europe (but that's
    story for some other group). Almost whole Europe uses Metric system so
    that was the idea of my post.

    Ivan Ostres, Aug 11, 2004
  14. David

    Scooby Guest

    David,

    If there is a chance in the future that you would want to do more across
    this link, it may be beneficial to set up the link now. You can explore
    outdoor wireless solutions (Cisco 1310) or possibly LRE (which would require
    running a physical line). You'd need to probably bury a conduit to run the
    ethernet cable, but you'd be able to run fiber through that later on.

    Caculate what a cable modem would cost you over the next 3-4 years and see
    if you can pay for a private connection with that. If so, I think it would
    be worth it. If you are paying "business" rates, then you are probably
    paying at least $80/mo for service, maybe more.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Aug 11, 2004
  15. David

    mh Guest

    mh, Aug 11, 2004
  16. David

    MC Guest

    With the proper anntena setup this could be done as long as there is a lear
    line of sight between where the anntenas are located at each end.

    I would rather not run anything critical over wireless (security,
    reliability).
    I would use encryption on the link.

    May can get by with off the shelf wireless devices if an option to use
    different external anntenas. I always use access point bridges that actually
    do better at longer distances, do not use a wireless hub that does not
    bridge the connection. Most can only do hlf duplex, again maybe OK for small
    usage, but if really needing very good connectivity, performance, then I
    would go with more top of the line units

    I use Western Multiplex a good bit, carrier and enterprise solutions mind
    you, but good. They are know called Proxim (merged I think)
    They are one of the leading manufacturers of wireless networking equipment.

    www.proxim.com

    A good resource I have used for wireless products (anntenas, cables,
    mounting, etc) is Hutton Communications, Inc.

    www.huttoncom.com

    MC, Aug 12, 2004
  17. I tried to imagine how large his backyard would be. And then imagine
    300 of them in a row .. or something alike.

    Answering his question would have required me to first find out how
    his medieval units translate into SI units and then calculate
    his length.

    I wonder why he didn't follow the recommendation about unit usage
    by the (arch American) IEEE when posting in an international news group.

    Oh well...

    Regards

    Christoph Weber-Fahr

    Christoph Weber-Fahr, Aug 12, 2004
  18. Get a pair of Linksys access points that take an external antenna, and use
    something like cantenna (www.cantenna.com) to make a high gain directional
    shot, if there is line of sight between the buildings.

    Cantenna Pair ~$120 w/pigtail + tripod. Linksys WAP54G PAIR ~$120-$180.
    Is $300 in budget?

    Is there conduit space? Is there phone wire between the buildings? You can
    use some old, decommisioned SDSL modems from eBay to talk back to back and
    get megabit-ish speeds. Typically, you can score an older SDSL (like the
    flowpoint 2200) modem used for as low as $20. Set one in DSLAM mode.

    Ask on comp.dcom.xdsl : seems there are a lot of SDSL models with varying
    capability.

    PS: Remember: "Cheap, Reliable, Fast. Pick two."

    Phillip Remaker, Aug 12, 2004
  19. AFAIK Britain is mostly metered these days (or is that
    "metrified " ? :)

    Regards

    Christoph Weber-Fahr

    Christoph Weber-Fahr, Aug 12, 2004
  20. David

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Maybe because it's in yards? It's a shame we don't use the metric
    system here. Kind of odd because in the military, we use the metric
    system. Maybe so soldiers can remember that 1 klick is 1KM == 1000
    meters.

    Can you imagine the conversation when calling for fire? ! ? :)

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Aug 12, 2004