    things it cannot do-when they are not things it was targeted to do is a bit
    like complaining that a Porsche cannot move as much dirt as an earthmover.
    It's just not designed for that purpose.

    Mark M, Aug 30, 2003

  2. A bit more than

    Don Coon Guest

    Certainly. You simply tell TiVo to dump it to tape. (Since I've lived
    with my "girlfriend" for 38 years, it's not a big issue for me anyway.)

    BTW, TiVo recording quality is incredibly better than VHS tape -- even in
    it's lowest quality mode.

    Like I said earlier, if you haven't used a TiVo, you have no comprehension
    of its capabilities. It.s easier to do than explain.

    Don Coon, Aug 30, 2003

  3. A bit more than

    Don Coon Guest

    And by the way, yes you CAN take the whole TiVo to you girlfriend's house.
    It ain't that big or heavy.
    Not sure where you're coming from re the "off-air" issue. TiVo can record
    from cable, off-air, and satellite.... as I do all the time.

    Can you watch a tape on your VCR while recording another program?

    Don Coon, Aug 30, 2003
  4. A bit more than

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 30, 2003
  5. A bit more than

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 30, 2003
  6. A bit more than

    Lisa Horton Guest

    I used to feel the same way about TV, and have gone for years without
    owning one. But I'm just mad for documentaries, and these days, there
    are lots of documentaries on TV. There are whole networks for geeks!
    No matter if they're broadcast at 3 am on Sunday morning, they're
    "playing" whenever I feel like watching them.

    And movies, oh my! Good luck finding the Thin Man series at the local
    Blockbusting Mega Chain store, but they do come up on TV sometimes. And
    with Tivo, Everything on every channel is on at the precise moment that
    is most convenient to you.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Aug 30, 2003
  7. A bit more than

    blech Guest

    No offense to the those who own Tivo's, but it's funny that
    you seem to not need or want Tivo and yet others keep posting
    reasons why you do (could). IMO, no one *needs* TV at all.

    I was going to jump in earlier, but I was too busy watching Skin-a-max.

    blech, Aug 30, 2003
  8. A bit more than

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I have the entire Thin Man series available form my brother (roughly 2500
    VHS movies and about 100 DVDs) and also from a local rental chain. We are
    lucky here in that about a year after I got my first VCR -- 1985 or there
    about -- the local magazine distributer opened up Visart, a rental chain and
    put a frien of ours in charge of the operation. She is a movie buff. I would
    say there are more titles available in Visart's "classics" section than in
    the entire Blockbuster store.
    The only channel I would tape Thin Man movies from these days is TCM.
    Back in the early 80s I used to tape off commercial channels like A&E -- but
    they had short commercial breaks then and put them at the end of scenes. Now
    channels like that are running close to 50% commercials and they cut the
    movies to fit them into time slots - or speed them up -- or simply don't
    show them, which is the most common solution to the problem of having a form
    of entertainment that isn't going to take up the same amount of time every
    week.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 30, 2003
  9. A bit more than

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 30, 2003
  10. A bit more than

    Don Coon Guest

    Duh......... no one *needs* a camera at all. Or a car, house, clothing,
    etc., etc. And that's a FACT not an opinion.

    Don Coon, Aug 30, 2003
  11. A bit more than

    blech Guest

    No shit.

    blech, Aug 31, 2003
  12. A bit more than

    Don Coon Guest

    No, they probably need to do that ; )

    Don Coon, Aug 31, 2003
  13. A bit more than

    Abrasha Guest

    Yes.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Sep 5, 2003
  14. A bit more than

    Lisa Horton Guest

    It's recording a show at it's broadcast time, but watching it at another
    time of your convenience. Tivo brings this to a new level, as
    essentially, anything and everything you want to watch is on whenever
    you want it to be.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Sep 5, 2003
  15. Obviously Tony doesn't have a teenage daughter. My daughter seems to timeshift
    at least 3-4 programs/day.
    If a program you want to watch comes on at 3:00am, you set your Tivo/VCR/PVR to
    record the program at that time, and then view it later (ie, shifting the time
    you are viewing it). You don't save the recording for long time archival but
    delete the entry on a Tivo/PVR or reuse the tape on the VCR.

    Michael Meissner, Sep 5, 2003