    Your lens extends when you switch the camera on in "play" mode? My C2040z
    doesn't do that... that's weird.

    -Charles

    Charles Robinson, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Completely incorrect. Helmets are _not_ made to act as "crumple zones".
    The purpose of a helmet is to distrubute the impact pressure across
    wider area of human scull thus reducing the chances of scull fracture.
    Helmets are not supposed to crumple. Ever.

    It is thoretically possible to use "crumple zone" technology with
    helmets. But it will lead to much bulkier helmets. The regular helmets
    that we use today are too thin to contain any useful crumple zone.

    Andrey Tarasevich, Aug 26, 2003

  3. A bit more than

    Randy Rhine Guest

    Hmmm...

    I'm not an expert, but...you sure? We talking the hard-shell motorcycle type
    helmets or the lightweight thick foam bicycle type helmets? I know the latter are
    design to crush upon impact...and soften the blow to the head. That's why they say
    to not use the helmet after a crash...to just get a new one. I know that in my
    case, I had a bad fall which caused the helmet to compact & crack...most likely
    saving me from a severe head injury or worse. I was happy to have the opportunity
    to buy another one.

    rr

    Randy Rhine, Aug 26, 2003
  4. I'm not seeing the difference between distribute the impact pressure
    across the skull and acting as a crumple zone.

    After the accident, your helmet is toast. It's a one shot deal. Some
    recommend replacement if you drop if off your seat. Yeah, the outer
    shell is pretty crack resistent, but that inner layer is doing exactly
    as I suggest. Taking the pain for you.

    Jason O'Rourke, Aug 26, 2003
  5. A bit more than

    Charlie Self Guest

    Andrey Tarasevich quotes:

    Don't place one line from my words into the middle of someone else's bullshit
    and present it as a quote from me.

    Charlie Self

    "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
    Dan Quayle, 11/30/88

    Charlie Self, Aug 26, 2003
  6. A bit more than

    Charlie Self Guest

    Randy Rhine asks:
    Read the quote. I specifically stated "motorcycle" helmets.

    It really makes no difference, though. Once any safety helmet is
    used--crashed--it must be discarded.

    Charlie Self, Aug 26, 2003
  7. Funny, that seems to be exactly what I said, therefore making it rather
    different from a camera. Or do you discard your SLR after every clumsy
    move?

    Jason O'Rourke, Aug 26, 2003
  8. A bit more than

    Charlie Self Guest

    Jason O'Rourke responds:
    No. Totally different. The crash helmet is discarded because the foam lining
    that prevents damage to the skull MAY be damaged, and there' s no way to test
    it to check. Except in extremely abnormal circumstances, there's no penetration
    or cracking of the polycarbonate shell. The foam lining is deformed, if it is,
    by the movement of the head inside the helmet.

    Pay a little attention to what is written. You might actually learn something.

    Charlie Self, Aug 26, 2003
  9. Yep. I learned you're an asshole without the manners to admit when he's wrong.

    Jason O'Rourke, Aug 26, 2003
  10. A bit more than

    Charlie Self Guest

    Jason O'Rourke responds:
    Did your mama have any children who aren't brain dead?

    Ta.

    Charlie Self, Aug 26, 2003
  11. A bit more than

    Mark M Guest

    wrong.

    Methinks the word *sshole doesn't go well with a manners reprimand...

    Mark M, Aug 27, 2003
  12. A bit more than

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Ahh -- but you can lift a pile of the new plastic ones. I remeber my first
    VCR -- about 30 pounds - lasted 3 years - by then the heads were worn so
    much it wouldn't play rented tapes any more. My mostly plastic Sony is now 7
    years old and the heads are worn to the point where it is only used for time
    shifting - We bought a new (and even lighter) machine for rentals etc. last
    year.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 28, 2003
  13. A bit more than

    Lisa Horton Guest

    For time shifting, the VCR is truly obsolete. Tivo does a far superior
    job of that task, as well as make it far easier to find the shows you
    want. DVD recorders are getting pretty cheap now, and are also very
    good for time shifting. And of course they do double duty playing
    rental DVDs. Then again, owning a Tivo might well reduce the number of
    rentals :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Aug 29, 2003
  14. A bit more than

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 29, 2003
  15. A bit more than

    Bram Guest

    Plus, TiVo is strictly a US gimmick, so for the rest of the world it's
    not a relevant option. For most purposes, VHS is still the standard and
    does the trick just fine.

    Bram, Aug 29, 2003
  16. A bit more than

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    But it still costs money and cannot permanently keep programming. We time
    shift the national news monday through friday - tape it at 6:30 watch it at
    7 - done by 7:15 most nights as we aren't interested in the "human interest"
    stories etc. The other thing is "Mystery" or "Masterpiece Theater" neither
    of which are the 'must watch every week' programs they once were. So that
    amounts to about an hour or two every few weeks. If there was anything to
    watch on TV it would be another matter. Like HDTV, TiVo and other big
    improvements in television watching are of no importance to us.

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 29, 2003
  17. A bit more than

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Well, Tivo can more or less permanently keep programming. You just run
    out of space eventually. But you can save the Tivo programming to VCR
    or to recordable DVD.

    Tivo is a fundamental change in the way you view TV. The vast majority
    of Tivo users stop watching live TV entirely within a month or so. With
    Tivo, there can ALWAYS something GOOD to watch.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Aug 29, 2003
  18. A bit more than

    Don Coon Guest

    TiVo does cost money. Cost me, one time, $220 for the box and $149 for
    lifetime subscription service. Oh, and I added an 80GB drive to increase its
    capacity to 88 hours of storage space. That's it.

    Can you program your tape recorder to automatically record the news from 7
    to 7:15 every night Monday through Friday -- including inserting a new tape?
    How about recording every "Mystery" and "Masterpiece Theater" -- maybe tell
    it to just record first runs but not reruns? Of course this barely
    scratches the surface of TiVo's capability.

    Don Coon, Aug 29, 2003
  19. A bit more than

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    But my VCR has given me 7 years of good service and the "new VCR" was 80
    bucks, and can play all my tapes. The basic problem here is that other than
    renting, or buying movies, I don't bother with television. Back in the mid
    90s when I was pretty sick and hung around the house all the time I bought a
    satellite reciever (Directv) and taped a whole lot of movies off of the
    Mystery Channel, the Western Channel, TCM and AMC. There were also
    occasional good movies on some of the other non-commercial channels. With
    the exception of TCM all those channels are now either showing made for tv
    movies (look up the word "crap" in my dictionary and "made for tv movie" is
    the second definition) or have gone to commercial interruptions every ten
    minutes. TCM has a big library and every once in a while I still do tape a
    movie off it but essentiallly I got 95% of what I wanted off it in 1996-97.
    TiVo is probably great for someone who actually watches tv - But we
    don't.

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 29, 2003
  20. A bit more than

    Alan F Cross Guest

    ...And can you take an off-air movie to your girlfriend's house without
    taking the whole TiVo box with you?

    Alan F Cross, Aug 30, 2003