    around so that the drive isn't used as an air filter anymore.

    Anybody else having problems with these or am I just lucky?

    JohnF

    JohnF, Apr 27, 2004

  2. JohnF

    one_red_eye Guest

    You can buy floppy disks on eBay dirt cheap.

    one_red_eye, Apr 27, 2004

  3. JohnF

    one_red_eye Guest

    The clerk at my office had the same problem, then we started getting a
    different brand. The disks still failed, but they held out longer, through
    more uses.

    one_red_eye, Apr 27, 2004
  4. JohnF

    philo Guest

    I bought some floppies from radio shack about a year ago...
    they all failed within 6 months.
    I later got some Imation floppies and they are all still good.

    there seems to be a difference in manufacturers!

    philo, Apr 27, 2004
  5. JohnF

    Jerry G. Guest

    Either you are using the hell out of the disks, or you have a drive in one
    of the machines with a defective head, that is scratching or wearing the
    media at too great a rate. I have had defective drives cause your type of
    problem.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    I transfer files between 4 DOS computers (CNC equipment) and I go
    through about 3 disks a week because they quit reading. I've replaced
    about 1/2 dozen 3-1/2 drives over the last year or so but it just
    seems that the media is more likely the problem. I keep the disks in a
    plastic disk holder not in my pocket and clean the drives frequently.
    I've even gone to the trouble to turn the fans in the power supplys

    Jerry G., Apr 27, 2004
  6. JohnF

    Saul Reiss Guest

    3 1/2 drives are becoming obsolete for that reason. From now on try the USB
    pen type external drives. I think they are called "FLASH" drives. Much more
    space and reliability. For this reason a lot of new laptops don't even come
    with floppy drives anymore.

    Saul Reiss, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Um ... why don't you network the machines and chuck the floppies entirely?

    Gary G. Taylor, Apr 27, 2004
  8. JohnF

    Billh Guest

    Do you have a dos driver for one of those pen drives? Never mind a usb
    driver for Dos. Or how about a usb port for and old dos based computer?

    Billh, Apr 27, 2004
  9. JohnF

    Plato Guest

    I dont think the drives are getting worse. Heck, even if your power
    supply is flakey or putting out 5.3 or more volts on the 5 volt line it
    doesn't seem to phark up a floppy drive while it "may" phark up your
    hard drive. If you use your floppy drive a lot tho, it may and often
    does require a cleaning with one of those kits that have the fluid. Sort
    of like cleaning a tape head remember how dirty they'd get if you played
    lots of tapes? Heck I use to have to clean my tape heads once/week and
    the q-tip would still get half black.

    On the other hand, I know for a fact, no matter brand of disk you use
    that they surely are WAY less reliable than in the past. Some brands are
    better than others but even the best brand today is worse than the worst
    brand of yesteryear.

    So, are your drives going bad or do they just need a good cleaning? A
    dirty drive easily kills any disk. Then, once the grime from a drive
    gets on a disk you often transfer it to another drive. Anytime I have a
    disk go bad or has a read problem if I need the data I will try to copy
    it to the hard drive one last time with another drive or PC but then the
    disk gets tossed.
    OK I see you clean the drives. Using the kit with the fluid? You have to
    soak the felt in the cleaning disk real good and do a dir about 24 times
    to actually clean the drive heads properly.
    Interesting as yes your floppy drive does act as a filter. Still, I
    wouldnt switch the fans around in the PS. Add a second intake fan at the
    bottom front of your PC if you dont have one already as this will reduce
    air intake via the floppy drive.

    Plato, Apr 28, 2004
  10. JohnF

    Plato Guest

    The basic Black disks seem to last longer than the colored disks.

    Plato, Apr 28, 2004
  11. JohnF

    Plato Guest

    Which really sucks if and when it cant boot to a known bootable cd,
    which often happens.

    Plato, Apr 28, 2004
  12. I transfer files between 4 DOS computers (CNC equipment) and I go
    Where were those diskettes manufactured?

    Alexander Rogge, Apr 28, 2004