2nd RFD: rec.photo.digital.slr (was: rec.photo.dslr)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Thad, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. My Nikon N90 has a point & shoot mode, too. Same thing. For that
    matter, an F5 has a point & shoot mode.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Thad

    MarkH Guest

    I am completely in agreement with you about the name needing to be
    accurate, but multilens isn’t really accurate either, what about P&S
    cameras that can have a converter lens in front of the normal lens, that’s
    multilens.

    Obviously the new group should be called:
    rec.photo.digital.interchangeablelens.slr.cameraslikethecanond20andnikond70
    andpentaxist,etcthatyoucanchangelenseson.notcamerasthathaveafixedlens.notth
    eolympuse-10ore20

    Of course we could just go with
    rec.photo.digital.slr.interchangeablelensonly but the only question is
    whether that name isn’t a bit too short.

    MarkH, Sep 5, 2004

  3. Yes, that is too long. Elements of a Big-8 newsgroup name should not be
    longer than 14 characters between dots.

    [Follow-Up set to news.groups]

    Woodchuck Bill, Sep 5, 2004
  4. No..but a new group for these cameras may be brewing up. Stay tuned.

    Woodchuck Bill, Sep 5, 2004
  5. Note the operative word "like".

    Woodchuck Bill, Sep 5, 2004
  6. Thad

    Guy Macon Guest

    That information is obsolete. The limit is currently set at 20.

    Guy Macon, Sep 5, 2004
  7. Sorry. I thought I read you mention that somewhere. Perhaps I got the
    number mixed up with something else.

    [Follow-Up set to news.groups]

    Woodchuck Bill, Sep 5, 2004
  8. Thad

    Lionel Guest

    I still have a major problem with that description, which is that (a) it
    doesn't accurately match the best name available, & (b) it encourages a
    perception that the group is not 'really' about DSLRs, but rather about
    'elite' cameras/photographers. Whether or not that perception is
    accurate, I predict it'll cause a lot of 'no' votes from photographers
    who feel insulted by the proposal.

    I *strongly* suggest dumping all the stuff in the proposal about
    non-DSLR cameras, & sticking strictly to DSLRs, because I think that
    doing so will dramatically improve the odds of the vote going in favour
    of the new group.
    I thin that the issue of fancy non-DSLRs will sort itself out over time,
    as the number of people using such cameras becomes large enough for them
    to develop their own 'voice' in RPD. (In much the same that the 'voice'
    of DSLR users has become clear enough to require the current proposal.)

    Lionel, Sep 5, 2004
  9. I own one of those cameras..Coolpix 5700. I think there are enough of us to
    justify a new group. Do Google searches on..

    Nikon 5700
    Nikon 8700
    Canon G3

    Plenty of hits. Funny, I never heard the term ZLR until this RFD, but I'm
    beginning to like it. BTW..the SLR group does not seem snobby to me at all.

    Woodchuck Bill, Sep 5, 2004
  10. Thad

    Thad Guest

    Where you been, Bill?

    Thad, Sep 5, 2004
  11. Thad

    Thad Guest

    The ZLR acronym has been dropped from the 3rd RFD.

    Thad, Sep 5, 2004
  12. Thad

    Thad Guest

    Agreed - thus the need to be so specific in the RPDSLR charter.

    Thad, Sep 5, 2004
  13. Thad

    Thad Guest

    Me too - though I suggest you come up with a better name than the one
    above.

    Thad, Sep 5, 2004
  14. Thad

    Thad Guest

    Why not? (serious)

    You're beginning to sound like one of the elite! (joking)

    Thad, Sep 5, 2004
  15. Thad

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Most or all high-end SLRs have point-and-shoot modes, too. So, as it turns
    out, "point and shoot" isn't any better a name for that class of camera as
    "DSLR" necessarily is for their class, but, hey, that's what everyone calls
    them, and even photographers don't have other names for them, so I guess we
    run with it.

    Jeremy Nixon, Sep 5, 2004
  16. Woodchuck Bill wrote:
    []
    In that sense, as software, printers and scanners already have their own
    groups (even if not used by the r.p.d crowd), r.p.d would become
    point-and-shoot by default.

    The e-mail address is valid, if you remove the "not" and "nor" parts, i.e.
    it ends in.co.uk

    I would certainly be willing to help in the RFD (although I am away next
    weekend) but I suspect that the name would be the most difficult part.
    Although I don't like ZLR, if that is in some sort of limited common usage
    perhaps it's a start. .high-end is another possibility, although with the
    rate of progress today's high-end is tomorrows standard. Actually
    defining what cameras (yes, it's an equipment divide again) would be a
    challenge, though......

    I'm tempted to suggest DSLR as to me these cameras are the true digital
    incarnation of the SLR, not being bound by the lenses and formats of
    yesterday, and it would sort alphabetically above SLR. <G>

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 5, 2004
  17. I follow this stuff closely as well - I thought that /you/ had invented
    the term, to be honest!

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 5, 2004
  18. Perhaps if the proposal covered the two new groups there would be fewer
    people feeling that they would want to vote "no"? Or that somehow people
    know that a ZLR group was in the pipeline?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 5, 2004
  19. That was ugly meaning "ZLR".

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 5, 2004
  20. Simply that someone proposing such changes I would have been expecting to
    already be a well-known poster here. The /impression/ is slightly that of
    a 3rd party coming and suggesting how we should run our newsgroups. I'm
    not denying good intent or good work, simply that I would have expected to
    recognise the name (like I do yours).

    That's all.

    Cheers,
    David