2nd network computer can't see 100% of files in certain folders on 1st computer

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by R. D. Silvester, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. I have a 2-station wireless network between my office and my secretary's,
    next door. I have an XP Pro machine; she has XP Home. Both computers are
    reasonably up-to-date and otherwise working well. Both have fairly recent
    D-link hardware. I have had the wireless network for over a year, most of
    the time working well. Recently, a very odd problem has popped up.

    My secretary's computer sometimes cannot see all the files in a particular
    folder. The problem has shown up in several folders during the past few
    weeks. Since her job is to finalize and prints documents that I draft,
    this has created uncertainty, since she does not know about all the
    documents she is supposed to process.

    I am pretty sure I have sharing working properly. She can access my
    computer and can see, for example, 11 of the 13 files in, for example, the
    "Jones" folder, but not the 12th and 13th. The missing files seem to have
    nothing in common., that is, they are random, as far as the date is
    concerned, etc. They are not unusually large or small. All are text
    documents, drafted in WordPerfect. Today, she called to my attention that
    one of the missing files was one she had typed on her computer about 5 days
    ago, saving it to my computer's hard drive. And I can see the missing files
    on my
    computer. She cannot see them from hers. Neither of us has attempted
    anything like "hidden" files etc. The network is encrypted, but her
    computer has the key and can otherwise access my computer.

    Does anyone have any ideas about what could cause this?

    Thanks.

    Rick Silvester

    R. D. Silvester, Mar 15, 2005