    opening My Computer. Someone mentioned that I need to go to the boot up
    section and tell it to recognise it somehow but I'm at a loss as to how to
    do it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

    GJL, Oct 21, 2003

  2. GJL

    philo Guest

    your machine may give you a message while booting up such as

    hit <del> to enter setup

    (check your manual for exact details)

    however the problem may very well be a matter of you not having partitioned
    the drive
    and formatted it...

    you can do that using fdisk or else the utiltiy that would have come woth
    the new drive

    philo, Oct 21, 2003

  3. GJL

    Pompey© Guest

    What the make of the drive etc?
    Daryn

    Pompey©, Oct 21, 2003
  4. GJL

    Harrison Guest

    Has the drive been formatted?
    If it has not, then it will not show up on my computer until you do
    so.
    You'll need to boot to a floppy and run fdisk to set up partitions
    which can then be formatted.
    Be careful not to format one of your existing partitions.
    If you don't know how to do this, then find someone who does.
    http://www.compguystechweb.com/troubleshooting/fdisk/fdisk_scr.html

    Harrison, Oct 21, 2003
  5. GJL

    DaveJ Guest

    If both drives are on the same IDE channle (cable), the first drive should
    have MA (Master) and SP (Slave Present) jumpers, 2nd drive just needs SL
    (Slave) jumper. Same rule applies for mixed drives (Disk, CD, DVD etc) on
    each IDE channel.

    regards,
    DaveJ.

    DaveJ, Oct 22, 2003
  6. GJL

    Shep© Guest

    Also some drives had a Master+Slave setting.Not so many now I think
    but...

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in gmx for email