2950 switchport not in any vlan?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by BernieM, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. BernieM

    BernieM Guest

    Interesting problem we had the other day. Configuring a 2950T for ad-hoc
    use ... must be able to connect to any of the access switch stacks in the
    building. There are many subnets/vlans to work in so the configuration was
    simple .... all ports configured as 'access', all in vlan 1 (default) and
    bpdufilter enabled ... as bpduguard is enabled on all the access switch
    ports it's likely to connect to.

    Connected one port back to the floors switch stack and one port to a laptop.
    Layer 2's up but there's no connectivity to the subnets default gateway.
    Checked and rechecked the configs, no surprises there. Running Ethereal on
    the laptop showed no responses to ARP's ... what you would see if the
    laptops switchport and the switchport going back to the switch stack were in
    different vlans.

    Output from 'show vlan' omitted the port we'd connected back to the switch
    stack ... it just wasn't there. Move that patch to a different port on our
    'ad-hoc' switch and it would 'disappear' from 'show vlan' results..

    Grabbed another 2950T with a minor IOS version difference but same config
    and worked fine.

    Bug???

    BernieM

    BernieM, Jan 25, 2006

  2. BernieM

    Kevin Widner Guest

    Connected one port back to the floors switch stack

    When you made this connection, did it come up as a trunk?
    Ports that are being trunked don't show up in a "show vlan" output. And
    by default, I believe ports are set to "desired" trunking.

    Kevin Widner, Jan 25, 2006

  3. BernieM

    BernieM Guest

    Thanks for the reply Kevin. All ports configured as 'access'. There's no
    trunking being done because that creates restrictions on where you can take
    this switch. We have done this many times ... it's the same as configuring
    your Cisco switch like a 'very basic' consumer level switch.

    BernieM

    BernieM, Jan 25, 2006