2924 Switch: VLAN config not in config.text

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JF Mezei, May 22, 2007.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    I just realised that on my 2924 switch, the vlan definition commands
    such as

    switch# vlan database
    switch(vlan)# vlan 2 name Accounting
    switch(vlan)# vlan 3 name Engineering
    switch(vlan)# vlan 4 name Executives
    switch(vlan)# apply

    Those commands are not included in a show running-config or in the
    config.text that is created in flash (or on remote system via tftp).

    What is the recommended way to manage this ?

    Is the only way to do a binary backup of the vlan.dat file to a remote
    system, or is there a way to setup the commands in a text file on a
    remote system and have them executed on the switch ?

    Are there other configuration data which are not reflected in the
    config.text file that I should be aware of and manually backup ?

    IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC9, RELEASE
    SOFTWA)

    JF Mezei, May 22, 2007

  2. Yes, cisco figured out that was a pain, and changed that a few years ago in
    the current hardware crop. Of course, this long EOL'd switch didn't get
    the updates...

    Check things with 'show vlan'? I think cisco expected you to really
    managed vlan ID's with VTP out from some other switch that might have
    had better vlan definition style (ie. CatOS). Otherwise, copying the
    vlan.dat file is fine.

    No, you won't find any plain-text configs for vlan setup. The
    interactive 'show vlan' is the best one you can do. RANCID keeps track
    of this as part of its change-tracking.

    The only other one has to do with SNMP index persistance. If you
    aren't using that, you've got the two big ones to do a restore.

    Doug McIntyre, May 22, 2007