    (vlan1) but all of the pc's are on vlan3. Can I jumper a port on vlan
    (1) to a port on vlan3 using a cross-over cable and have the pc's on
    vlan 3 be able to see the switch on vlan1???

    gene martinez, Nov 2, 2004

  2. No, to cross subnets you'll need to route.

    Johnny Routin, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Thanks..

    gene martinez, Nov 3, 2004
  4. gene martinez

    chris Guest

    I suppose you could cross-connect the vlans this way. You'll need to
    disable spanning-tree on those ports or the switch will see the loop.

    -Chris

    chris, Nov 3, 2004
  5. You could cross connect the vlans but one subnet will not talk to the other.

    Johnny Routin, Nov 3, 2004
  6. It will? I didn't think it would as they are different vlans, so I
    thought to the switch it wouldn't see it as (2) ports are connected
    together??

    gene martinez, Nov 3, 2004
  7. Thanks, I guess I should change all the ports to vlan (1) and not have
    to be bothered with connecting the (2) vlans together...

    gene martinez, Nov 3, 2004
  8. What would be a low-end (2 or 3) port router?? Waybe this is something
    I should look into. Plus it would be a good learning tool.. :)

    gene martinez, Nov 3, 2004
  9. The 2514 is an older 2 ethernet port router that works well and is fairly
    cheap. I used one for years in my home lab before I upgraded to a 2621 which
    would be another option for you.

    Johnny Routin, Nov 4, 2004
  10. Thanks, Ill have a look and see what I can find..

    gene martinez, Nov 4, 2004