2611: is it possible to do this?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by NA, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. NA

    NA Guest

    I have a Cisco 2611 operating on my network and I want to have it operate
    with 2 internet providers, so that it can can provide redundancy as well as
    routing different traffic type over different internet links.

    I only have 2 interfaces on the 2611, 0/0 Internal and 0/1 external.

    --------- ---------
    - ISP1 - - ISP2 -
    --------- ---------
    | |
    -------------------------
    - Cisco Catalyst switch -
    -------------------------

    Ethernet 0/1

    -------------------------
    - Cisco 2611 Router -
    -------------------------

    Ethernet 0/0 (192.168.0.1)

    -------------------------
    - Internal Switch -
    -------------------------

    The Ethernet 0/1 is set up with the static IP assigned by ISP 1, and is also
    performing NAT with the Range assigned by the ISP1.

    I now want to set the Cisco 2611 to perform PPPoE to ISP2, on my UNIX boxes
    I was able to create an aliased interface to perform these tasks is that at
    all possible on this router?

    I am running IOS 12.1(5)T

    Cheers,

    Chris.

    NA, Aug 3, 2004

  2. NA

    Scooby Guest

    Chris, if your router supports trunking you can do this. You'd just set up
    subinterfaces on the 2611 E0/1, trunk to the catalyst and then have two
    separate vlans for your isps. You can use your subinterface for ISP2 to do
    the PPPOE. Search on Cisco for Intervlan routing and router on a stick.

    I sure hope that there is a firewall somewhere in the mix.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Aug 3, 2004