2610 with an wic-1adsl

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Paul Cocker, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Paul Cocker

    Paul Cocker Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to get an wic-1adsl working with my 2610 router but can't get it
    recognised. I presume this is due to the fact I don't have the plus pack on
    my IOS. As such I've tried a bunch of other IOS's and they all fail during
    boot saying not enough memoy. The router has 16 flash and 48 dram. Here's
    the IOS's I've tried.

    c2600-a3js-mz.123-6a.bin
    C2600-Ik9o3s-Mz.122-8T.bin
    c2600-ik9o3s-mz.123-8.4a.bin
    C2600-Is-Mz 122-7.bin
    c2600-is-mz.122-15.T.bin
    C2600-is-mz.122-8.t4.bin
    c2600-is-mz.123-5b.bin
    c2600-is4-mz.123-9.bin
    C2600-Jk9o3S-Mz 123-10.bin
    cisco_ios-c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.123-3a.bin

    All fail with not enough memory, software forced reset.

    I've ordered 32mb more ram but it's going to take a couple of weeks to get
    here, ideally I'd like to get it working before them. Does anyone have any
    great ideas?

    Regards
    Paul.

    Paul Cocker, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Checking with the Cisco Feature navigator, there are two features - ADSL
    over ISDN, and ADSL Support - don't know which one is required for that
    WIC, but the first is not supported on the 26xx ... the second one
    requires either Enterprise Basic or IP Plus IOS ... looks like your
    problem is the DRAM - either one is listed with 64Megs of DRAM, though
    16M of flash will be sufficient ...

    Here's some filenames:

    c2600-j1s3-mz.12.3-12 - enterprise basic
    c2600-is-mz.12.2-11.T9 - IP Plus

    Otherwise, check http://cisco.com/go/fn for more detailed search ...

    But then, why did you go with the ADSL WIC? It's somewhere around
    2-3times more expensive than a WIC 1ENET ... stick a DSL modem in
    between, and you're up and running in no time ...

    -gg

    Garry Glendown, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Paul Cocker

    Paul Cocker Guest

    Thanks for the reply Gary. It's the standard ADSL support that I need I
    guess, not the over ISDN one.

    Yes you're right of course about the cost of the wic, I got it second hand
    off ebay so it wasn't too expensive (£120 about $230). I just wanted it to
    play with really and I can always sell it.

    Thanks very much for the file names.

    Regards
    Paul.

    Paul Cocker, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Is it a 2610 or a 2610XM?

    Per the datasheet for the WIC-1ADSL card at
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_data_sheet09186a0080088713.html

    The minimum version of IOS for the 2610XM is 12.3(2)T or 12.2(8)YN.
    12.3(x)T anything is probably going to require too much RAM for you
    right now, as you generally have to max out Flash and RAM to play in
    that realm on the hardware..

    Cisco Feature Navigator says that 12.2(8)YN only comes in IP+ or
    IP/FW/IDS+IPSEC/3DES images. Looks like you're outa luck, as the IP+
    images requires 96/32 of DRAM/Flash.

    Now, if you're running a 2610 instead of a 2610XM, you have a few more
    choices, and can run 12.2(4)XK or up in that train. Unfortunatly
    they've scrolled info about XK off feature navigator already :( There
    used to be a few other sub-trains in 12.2.(x) that could run that
    card, but again, they're busy beavers and scrolling off those old
    sub-trains to the newer stuff which all has massive memory requirements.

    IIRC, 12.2(x)YN is what I used for the 2610 as well for using it and
    selling it as a solution, but had to max out the memory to run the
    card with the few images that has hardware support for this card.

    Doug McIntyre, Dec 21, 2004
  5. Paul Cocker

    Paul Cocker Guest

    Hi Doug, thanks for the comprehensive reply. Mine isn't the XM version,
    just the standard. I've gone ahead and ordered some more ram, found these
    guys to be pretty cheap http://www.ssmemory.com/. It's copied memory not the
    real stuff.

    Then hopefuly it can stop being a useless brick!

    Paul

    Paul Cocker, Dec 23, 2004