256MB vs 512MB SD memory card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by stdenis, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. stdenis

    stdenis Guest

    I just bought a Panasonic FZ15 digital camera. I'm debating whether to
    buy 256MB or 512MB SD memory card, either a Lexar or a Sandisk. It's a
    4 megapixel camera, but I bought it for the Leica Lens, not the size of
    the CCD. Since most of my photos will only be viewed on a PC, I plan
    to only use the medium rec.

    Normally 256MB would be way more than I need, except that I'M going to
    Australia for 4 weeks in a month, where it is very,very hot especially
    in the North.

    If I but the 256MB card, I'll have to pay to get it downloaded to a CD.
    Other considerations are how hard it would be to find a place to do it
    and how long it would take. I only plan to be in any one place for a
    few days at the most.

    My main concern about buying a 512MB card is that I'll be putting all
    my eggs in one basket. If the card malfunctions or is lost, all those
    once-in-a-lifetime pictures would be lost and I'll return home with
    just memories.

    Someone mentionned it's possible to do a backup instead of a download.
    Not sure how this would work especially when using public computers.
    Any insights?

    I also heard that SD cards are on their way out. How true is that?
    This is a fairly expensive camera for me. In 2-3 years when the memory
    card dies, will I have to toss my camera out with it?
    Much appreciated.

    stdenis, Dec 18, 2004

  2. stdenis

    Spack Guest

    How about getting 2 x 256MB cards - if you need more space than 256MB can
    provide you just pop in the other card. It also means that if you spread
    your pics between the 2 cards, having one fail or get lost means you don't
    lose all your photos. And if you find you don't need more than 256MB, you
    can use a public computer (if you can find one) to copy all your photos to,
    and copy them back to the other card.

    As to the risk of malfunction, it's always a worry but these things seem
    pretty robust. I took my old camera (Samsung 350SE) with me snowboarding and
    had no problems with the Sandisk and Crucial CF cards I use, even up on the
    mountains at temps lower than -15C (it was -15C at the base of the mountain
    on one of the days we went, I have no idea what is was at the top but it was
    much colder).

    Dan

    Spack, Dec 18, 2004

  3. stdenis

    Ron Guest

    I worry more about losing the extra card (filled or unfilled) when I
    travel so I rely generally on the largest card I can put in my camera
    (right now I have a 512, with 256 and 128 as backup. When out and around
    I just keep the 512 in the camera. If you don't have to remove the card
    very often and use a USB connection you can really forget about it.
    Mistakes can be made when removing cards (I caused some real trouble for
    myself by removing a card while my camera's power was on). As for off
    allowing you to offload and get a cd. Maybe Kinkos does or will do. On a
    long trip I carry a cd with essential connection software so when
    visiting friends I can off load and either make a cd or just put them on
    my MP3 player's hard drive or keychain USB drive. So many options there
    if you think about it. My camera holds two cards and so I sometimes just
    backup pictures I am most interested in onto the second card.

    Ron, Dec 18, 2004
  4. stdenis

    mrpanitz Guest

    As for off
    of
    ..>allowing you to offload and get a cd. Maybe Kinkos <does or will do.

    a Lot of Kinkos have the sony pictuire maker
    which you take a Memory card/SD and either
    print the photos out or burn them to a CD
    the sony also accpects Memory sticks/SD and MMC
    and floppy (3.5) disks
    I know thats the case in the US I'm not sure about overseas Kinkos
    (althought there are Kinkos in Austraila)

    mrpanitz, Dec 26, 2004
  5. stdenis

    Mike Henley Guest

    Mike Henley, Dec 26, 2004