256k and 320k MP3's sound distorted

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have used Windows Media Player 6.4, the built-in player in Kazaa K++ and
    my mIRC built-in MP3 player and they all produce the same results. That
    being any MP3's that are 256kbps or 320kbps sounds distorted when I use
    these players. I'm not sure about 224kbps, I don't remember if that bitrate
    is distorted or not, but I DO know that 192kbps or lower works fine.

    Here's the interesting part. When I try playing the problem MP3's with
    Winamp 2.80 Lite, they play flawlessly. I've tried for a few hours
    fidgeting with my sound card settings in Control Panel to no avail.

    My system specs are as follows: Pentium II at 333MHz 128MB RAM Windows 98SE.
    Now I was told by a professional that even a Pentium 1 could play MP3's so I
    doubt it has anything to do with hardware requirements. My system plays
    DivX fine so why couldn't it play a simple MP3?

    I want to be able to play MP3's in any player I want, I don't want to be
    restricted to Winamp only. Any suggestions I could try? Remove the
    NOSPAMWANTED to email me.

    Thank You

    Guest, Sep 13, 2003

  2. Guest

    jeroen Guest

    Hmm.....

    Do you create the files yourself? Using which codec?

    That's no specs. Don't you think soundcard info would be useful here?

    jeroen, Sep 13, 2003

  3. Guest

    PJB Guest

    can you actually hear the difference between two mp3's, one
    done at 320kbps and the other at 192kbps? Personally, I
    can't, in which case I'd use 192's ;-)

    P.

    PJB, Sep 13, 2003
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    These files were downloaded off of kazaa, so no idea which codec is used.
    I have a SB64AWE.

    Guest, Sep 13, 2003
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm not an audiophile so I wouldn't be able to hear the difference. It's
    just a drag converting all these MP3's to 192. Maybe if there was a shell
    extension program, I could highlight them all in Windows Explorer and just
    select the quality I want to convert them to.

    Guest, Sep 13, 2003
  6. Guest

    Cthulu Guest

    This is because Winamp uses it's own MP3 codec, which can handle high
    bitrates. Windows includes a crippled version (l3codecx.ax) of the
    Fraunhofer MP3 codec which can't encode above 56kbps and has trouble
    decoding high bitrate MP3s. Your best bet is to "regsvr32 /u
    l3codecx.ax" and then install another MP3 codec.

    Cthulu, Sep 14, 2003
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    This is because Winamp uses it's own MP3 codec, which can handle high
    bitrates. Windows includes a crippled version (l3codecx.ax) of the
    Fraunhofer MP3 codec which can't encode above 56kbps and has trouble
    decoding high bitrate MP3s. Your best bet is to "regsvr32 /u
    l3codecx.ax" and then install another MP3 codec.[/QUOTE]

    Could you give me a link to where I could get a good MP3 codec? I have
    searched for a few hours without any luck.

    Guest, Sep 14, 2003
  8. Guest

    Cthulu Guest

    There are many which are illegal in most countries and therefore hard to
    find. One possibility is to install legal software such as Nero 6 Ultra
    Edition (new one month time limited trial every month at nero.com) which
    includes MPEG codecs. You will need to "regsvr32 /u l3codecx.ax" (and
    anything else which begins with "l3codec", depending on what software you
    have installed). Windows should then be forced to use the Nero codec to
    play MP3s. I have not tested this on Win98 because I am using WinXP.

    IMNSHO the best way to play any type of compressed audio is to use Winamp
    with the appropriate Winamp plugins and forget about what codecs Windows
    uses.

    Cthulu, Sep 14, 2003
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    There are 3 packages for Nero 6. Which one do I download? I downloaded the
    last package which contains a revamped version of NeroMediaPlayer. I
    figured the NeroMix player would contain the necessary codecs for MP3's but
    it still sounds distorted. I went to the output plugins section of NeroMix
    and tweaked that a bit and still no success. I enabled MP3Pro and tried
    different options to no avail. Now what?

    Guest, Sep 14, 2003
  10. Guest

    Cthulu Guest

    "Package 1", which is currently:

    ftp://ftp.us.nero.com/Nero60015.exe

    It will install the "Nero Digital Audio Decoding Filter" to "Program Files
    \Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeAudio.ax".

    Cthulu, Sep 15, 2003
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I installed that and it still doesn't work. The MP3's still sound the same,
    all distorted. Any other 'bright' ideas?

    Guest, Sep 15, 2003
  12. Guest

    Cthulu Guest

    No, but here is a dim one:

    Apparently your old filters are still registered. You may have to use
    "regsvr" instead of "regsvr32". Open a DOS box before you run the commands
    so you can see the results.

    Cthulu, Sep 15, 2003
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    That's what I thought. I couldn't find a regsvr though... I unregistered
    the l3codecx.ax you mentioned plus the following:

    mp3enc2.ocx
    mp3play.ocx

    Those seemed to fit because of the filename, but I still think some of them
    are still registered because I could still play MP3's. I shouldn't be able
    to play them anymore when they're all unregistered.

    Guest, Sep 16, 2003
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Which other files do I unregister to get rid of all the filters? I can't
    unregister l3codeca.acm and l3codecp.acm because they're not .DLL or .OCX
    files. As I said in my last message, I already unregistered mp3enc2.ocx and
    mp3play.ocx. I need to know which other ones need to be unregistered.

    Guest, Sep 17, 2003