    old HD the primary drive but although the BIOS says 8445 Mb any version of
    DOS I load says 8.4Mb therefore I cannot install Windows Not enough space!

    Suggestions would be appreciated

    Dave Thomas, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Dave Thomas

    Isaac Guest

    How does DOS say that? Use fdisk of dos 7.1 (W95 osr2 or W98.
    www.bootdisk.com if you haven't) to delete all partitions, and create a new
    one. You must be able to create a partition of 8GB.

    When you want the full 20GB you'll need a bios update, or a disk manager.
    Maybe you can download one at the site of the harddisk manufacturer.

    Isaac, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Dave Thomas

    MahaRaj Guest

    Google returns good result on search term "Hard disk wrong size"

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Hard+disk+wrong+size+

    worth reading http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/1090658784

    MahaRaj, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Dave Thomas

    Ron Martell Guest

    Probably an older system with a BIOS that does not support the use of
    hard drives larger than 8.4 gb.

    Check the motherboard manufacturer's web site for the detailed
    specifications for the exact model and revision number that your
    friend has.

    There may be a BIOS update that you can download and use to 'flash"
    the BIOS to a later version that will support larger hard drives.

    ****WARNING**** Doing a BIOS flash update can be dangerous. Using the
    wrong BIOS version (e.g. for a slightly different model of
    motherboard) or interrupting the process part way through can leave
    the computer unusable.

    Another solution would be to install hard disk BIOS overlay software,
    which should be available for free download from the hard drive
    manufacturer's web site (EZDrive, MaxBlast, Disk Manager, etc). This
    software installs onto the hard drive and loads at boot time to modify
    the system BIOS to include support for the large hard drives.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Dave Thomas

    Plato Guest

    Seems he/she has a bios limit. See if there is a bios flash program that
    addresses it or use the disk manager.

    Plato, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Dave Thomas

    Dave Thomas Guest

    Hi Ron and others

    Thanks for your suggestions although I think some of you misread what I
    wrote! The size of HD shown when I type DIR is EIGHT MEGABYTES not 8GB.
    It seems that somehow I have created a new FAT12 partition of 8Mb as well as
    there being a FAT32 partition of 20Gb. My problem is that I cannot access
    the larger partition to install an operating system without reformatting the
    entire HD and losing all the data stored on it. You've already guessed that
    it wasn't backed up.
    More help please my brain is on strike.

    Dave Thomas, Jul 28, 2004
  7. Dave Thomas

    Ron Martell Guest

    Go to www.bootitng.com and download BootItNG. It has a 30 day trial
    period.

    Create the bootable diskette or CD from the downloaded file and then
    boot the problem computer with that. Cancel the Install option which
    will then put you into Maintenance mode where you can do whatever you
    need to with the existing partitions, such as deleting the 8 mb
    partition and then making the other partition into a bootable primary
    DOS partition with the contents intact.

    Ron Martell, Jul 28, 2004
  8. Dave Thomas

    Dave Thomas Guest

    Thanks a lot Ron. Will try that tomorrow.

    Cheers

    Dave Thomas, Jul 28, 2004
  9. Dave Thomas

    Barry OGrady Guest