    this is a problem with my camera or is this the way they all are.
    Thank you for your response.
    Jimp

    ji, Jul 29, 2005

  2. ji

    Colin D Guest

    The 20D, along with the 300D and the D70 - cameras I know about - have
    an orientation sensor in the camera which apparently works with
    gravity. It encodes the image so that when viewed, the image is right
    way up, both on the lcd screen and with image viewers. I would guess
    that when your camera is pointing straight down, the sensor is assuming
    a vertical image, hence the rotation.

    There is in the camera menu the ability to turn auto-orientation off, so
    all shots appear full-frame on the lcd. The downside is that vertical
    shots will appear sideways when you view them.

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Jul 29, 2005

  3. ji

    Rudy Benner Guest

    How did we ever manage back in the old days when such marvels were
    unavailable.

    Rudy Benner, Jul 29, 2005
  4. ji

    Colin D Guest

    Aaahh, well, it was easier to turn a print 90 degrees than pick up a
    20-kilo 19-inch monitor and turn it 90 degrees ...

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Jul 29, 2005
  5. ji

    Pete Guest

    I recommend turning auto-orientation off, because many graphics
    applications do not recognize the encoding. What's worse, when you rotate
    an encoded image in some apps, they don't change the encoding to reflect
    this.

    In other words, use of this feature can lead to chaos. You're never quite
    sure how an image will display or print, especially when you send it to
    someone else.

    Pete

    Pete, Jul 29, 2005
  6. ji

    ji Guest

    Hi Colin, Rudy, & Pete
    Thank you all for your replies. I thought there was something wrong with my
    camera. I made the change as specified and everything is great.
    Thanks again and best wishes.
    Jim

    ji, Jul 30, 2005