    down to $1390. No tax, and free shipping. For a brief time they had the
    20D+lens for $1449, but that was before this credit was available.

    See: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002XQJFA/sanfrancisc0b-20

    Steven M. Scharf, Jan 16, 2005

  2. Steven M. Scharf

    Your-Nice Guest

    that lens in my opinion is hardly worth having better to just buy the body
    and say a 50 f1.8 but it becomes a 80 f1.8 so to speak .

    Your-Nice, Jan 16, 2005

  3. Steven M. Scharf

    Colic Guest

    On the other hand I do not agree.

    My wife bought me the 20D kit with the 18-55mm lens in it. I had been
    tossing around the idea of either the 20D or the 1D MkII and I think she saw
    the opportunaty to save a few dollars, so she got me the 20D as a
    "surprise". When she looked around all she found in stock were the 20D
    kits, both the 17-85 IS and the 18-55. Knowing that I had multiple lenses
    covering these ranges already she opted for the cheaper 18-55 kit.

    When I opened the package and saw that it was the 18-55 kit I thought to
    myself I would never use the lens, just set it on a shelf or Ebay it away.

    However, I did eventually try the lens out anyway. And while it would not
    keep up with my 17-40 f4 L it was at least as good optically as my Sigma
    17-35 f2.8-4.0 EX HSM. I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, the Sigma is
    now on a shelf, and the kit 18-55 is a back-up wide zoom in the bag. Does
    the 18-55 have issues? Yes, but it is well worth having, particularly if
    you have nothing else covering the range.

    The 50mm f1.8 is a good lens for the money, no doubt. It is, the average
    copy anyway, superior optically to the 18-55mm kit lens or anything else in
    its price range. But, it can not do what can be done with a 18-55 lens
    either. Fixed lenses and foot zoom are great for the money, but when you
    only can back away so far then you need a wider lens. Then the option is
    carry more lenses, or carry a zoom.

    C!

    Colic, Jan 16, 2005
  4. While saying that a Canon lens is as good as a Sigma lens, even an EX,
    is no compliment, I agree about the 18-55. It certainly is worth the
    extra between the 20D kit and the body alone.

    Anyway, I took the 20D+18-55 plunge. Net cost was $1267 from Amazon,
    after the 3% Visa credit, and 5% affiliate rebate.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jan 17, 2005