  1. Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
    Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
    ANy recommendations for cards??

    William Hamilton, Jun 17, 2004

  2. William Hamilton

    Mutlley Guest

    Have a look here. http://www.promise.com/smi01_eng.htm

    Promise would me my best bet..

    Mutlley, Jun 17, 2004

  3. A Bios and OS upgrade may also be necessary.

    The maximum size of partition supported by Win9x is 127GB on FAT32.
    Windows NT4.0 can in theory format a FAT32 volume to 256GB but it cannot
    be read by Win9x. Anyway you'd have to be nuts to want to run FAT on a
    disk this size.

    Windows NT, 2000 and XP can format this volume in NTFS. As sizes greater
    than 127GB have only become common recently, check whether the OS you're
    using can support this size of disk.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 17, 2004
  4. William Hamilton

    MarkH Guest

    WinNT4 can format FAT32? When did they add that feature?
    Of course it is possible that the disk would be easier to manage in 2 or 3
    partitions anyway. But both Win2K and WinXP should have no problem with a
    200GB NTFS partition. A friend has formatted a 480GB NTFS partition with
    WinXP Pro, no problems.

    MarkH, Jun 17, 2004
  5. Thanks I will check out promise cards.

    Patrick OS is Linux (Debian), 2.6 kernel, FS will be ReiserFS with LVM.

    William Hamilton, Jun 17, 2004
  6. William Hamilton

    cowboyz Guest

    480GB is insane... Of course I am going to eat that statement next year
    when you can't buy less than a 500GB drive.......

    cowboyz, Jun 17, 2004
  7. William Hamilton

    Daver Guest

    Given the price of a decent ide card you may well be most of the way to a
    new MB and CPU.

    Daver, Jun 17, 2004
  8. William Hamilton

    GraB Guest

    Would need new RAM too.

    GraB, Jun 17, 2004
  9. William Hamilton

    GraB Guest

    I was running a Promise Ultra100 TX2 IDE card on a Socket 7 mobo.
    Specs said it can handle hard drive over 137Gb. No problems, computer
    ran better than when running drive on mobo's own contoller.

    GraB, Jun 17, 2004
  10. NT4 can read a 256GB FAT32 volume, with 64K clusters. It must be able to
    format it, because no other version of Windows can :)

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 17, 2004
  11. William Hamilton

    MarkH Guest

    When I used NT4 it could not read FAT32 at all. AFAIK NT4 only supports
    FAT16 and NTFS.

    MarkH, Jun 17, 2004
  12. William Hamilton

    MarkH Guest

    It was 4 x 160GB SATA on a Promise Raid 5 SATA controller.

    MarkH, Jun 17, 2004
  13. William Hamilton

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:29:55 +1200, in article

    Interestingly, the Microsoft Knowledgebase does not agree with you.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;154997

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=214404

    | Windows NT 4.0 Cannot Access Windows 2000 FAT32 Partition

    | Although Windows 2000 supports the FAT32 file system, Windows NT 4.0 does not.

    Did you mean when using NT4 with an add-on file system driver like this?

    http://www.purenetworking.net/Products/FAT32forNT4/FAT32forNT4.htm

    | FAT32 for Windows NT 4.0 is a file system driver that allows
    | your Windows NT machine to access FAT32 partitions as easily
    | as it reads FAT and NTFS volumes.

    Windows 2000 and XP cannot format it. Where did you find
    the "no other version of Windows"?

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_ryhg.asp

    Ralph Fox, Jun 17, 2004
  14. I dont see the 40/60/80 GB drive disappearing yet, and they've been here
    for 2 years, if not 3, so I doubt that you'll be unable to buy anything
    below 500GB...

    hell, why do people need such space?
    Im still hacking away at filling 80GB, and I have 25GB to go, two years
    since I got it.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 17, 2004
  15. NT4 and Fat32... you're certain?

    I know it can do Fat, but I didn't think it was able to read Fat32

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 17, 2004
  16. William Hamilton

    zog Guest

    I have 25 Gb of MPs , UT 2004 - a 6CD install, Microsoft Orifice, etc. But
    this is all chicken feed. Then I had to install a 120 Gb 2nd disk when my
    80 Gb disk ran out of space. Reason, DVDs!

    zog, Jun 17, 2004
  17. I've got a document here from MS that says 256GB FAT partitions are
    possible with 64KB clusters.

    64KB clusters are only supported by NT/2k/XP. I think it's possible that
    any version of these OSs that supports FAT32 could read the 256GB
    partition. 2k/XP can only format to 32GB though.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 17, 2004
  18. MS states that the maximum volume size that 9x can format is 128GB with
    32K clusters. A 256GB partition is possible using 64KB clusters (which is
    only supported by NT/2k/XP). The terabyte stuff is theoretical and not
    actually supported by any version of Windows.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 17, 2004
  19. No I'm not certain at all.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 17, 2004
  20. ok then, how does one use such space and stay within NZ copyright laws?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 17, 2004