2 PCs sharing 2 Printers

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Bill D, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Bill D

    Bill D Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm in the process of setting up a business working from home where there
    will be two PCs and 2 printers (1 Epson laser and 1 Epson dot-matrix for
    printing multi-part documents)

    As much as I've built hundreds of PCs over the years I've absolutely no idea
    about networking basics. The PCs both have onboard LAN cards.

    Can anyone tell me what I would need and how (just in priciple) has to be
    done and I'll explore it further.

    Basically, I'm wishing to be able to have the two PCs networked togther so
    we can both access and work on the same documents (not at the same time
    obviously!) plus both machines be able to use either printer to print.

    Can this be done without sprinter witchboxes?

    Cheers

    Bill D, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Bill D

    Rob Morley Guest

    Assuming you're using some flavour of Windows, and you're not using ICS:
    Connect the two PCs with a Cat5 crossover cable
    Make sure TCP/IP is installed on both PCs, assign IP addresses
    (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, netmask 255.255.255.0 are good ones) and
    make sure they're both in the same workgroup.
    Enable Windows File and Printer Sharing.
    Install the printers to one or other of the PCs - probably easiest to
    have one on each assuming that they use the parallel port and you only
    have one of these on each machine.
    On each machine select Sharing from the properties of the printer that's
    attached to it, and enable it. Likewise for any folder you wish to
    share between machines.
    On each PC add the printer from the other PC.
    On each PC you may want to create mount points for any folders shared by
    the other PC.

    Rob Morley, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Bill D

    Bill D Guest

    Fantastic - cheers Rob!!

    Much appreciated.

    Bill D

    Bill D, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Bill D

    Rob Morley Guest

    In case I wasn't clear, this is "Map Network Drive" in Explorer.

    Rob Morley, Dec 20, 2003