2 networks on same router?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by [L.], Dec 4, 2004.

  1. [L.]

    [L.] Guest

    Hi folks

    Broadband is about to arrive in my neck of the woods (literally) and I
    am preparing for it.

    As I work from home I would like to have my work PC completely
    separate from my family network (2 PCs) for the usual reasons,
    including kids who are not as careful as one would like them to be.

    I believe it would be possible to set up 2 (wired) networks on the
    same router so that the 2 networks are invisibile to each other and
    afford some level of protection.

    Any idea of which ADSL router can do that?
    And how to set it up?

    Thanks

    Lorenz

    [L.], Dec 4, 2004

  2. [L.]

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    I don't know of any small routers that will let you run two completely
    separate ip address ranges on the local network , so you might just be
    better off setting up two separate workgroups in the same address range and
    not allowing access from one to the other

    --
    Alex

    Join dozens of newsgroup users in making a group charity purchase from
    www.oxfamunwrapped.com Full details at www.drzoidberg.co.uk - almost
    £1400 raised so far

    Dr Zoidberg, Dec 4, 2004

  3. [L.]

    Rob Morley Guest

    No need - just use a software firewall on the work PC to block any
    access from the others on the LAN.

    Rob Morley, Dec 4, 2004
  4. [L.]

    awm Guest

    awm, Dec 4, 2004
  5. [L.]

    Lurch Guest

    You don't need a router that can do that, unless you like spending
    money. I've done that here, but I use different workgroups, IP address
    ranges and subnets. Works fine and no additional costs incurred.

    Lurch, Dec 4, 2004
  6. [L.]

    [L.] Guest

    Thanks _all_ for your comments and suggestions.

    Lorenz

    [L.], Dec 6, 2004