    connect with the wireless USB's for internet access?
    Thanks,
    James

    JJ, May 2, 2005

  2. sounds like several hardware solutions have been tried to fix a
    software problem :)

    hard to say if your solution would fix it as you haven't isolated the
    problem. What is the default gateway on the offending machine, how
    does it compare to the others. Can it ping the gateway machine ? can
    it ping an external IP address like 66.249.87.104 but won'tr ping
    www.google.com ??

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, May 2, 2005

  3. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Hi Phil.
    I'm rather poor with networking so didn't install the router.
    I had 2 spare Safecom USB 11b's and installed them. Networked fine but no
    internet access so I configured a program (proxyi?) that worked great for
    internet access.
    The guys who installed the ADSL router have 3 of the PC's with internet use
    but not the 4th. You can ping the router but no internet address. The
    network engineer gave up after 5 hours of installing, uninstalling etc.

    Duh, I'm a clown. I can probably just install AnalogX Proxy and configure
    the 4th PC with that. Why add another network problem?
    Thanks anyway - next time I'm up my friend's I'll give it a try!
    James

    JJ, May 2, 2005
  4. JJ

    Rob Morley Guest

    Check the PC has the right settings for default gateway (the router)
    and DNS (the router if it has a DNS relay, otherwise the standard DNS
    servers for your ISP). Still no luck? Check that the router isn't
    blocking the IP address of the PC - are you using DHCP? Check that
    the router isn't filtering on MAC address.

    Rob Morley, May 2, 2005
  5. JJ

    JJ Guest

    I'll check them when I'm there next but I'd be surprised if they were setup
    wrong. The Company that supplied the router were the ones to come and set it
    up (at a cost of course) and they had the others working fine. The one thing
    I found strange was they couldn't get it to work unless the main PC was set
    to get the IP addy assigned from the router. If anything was static? (if I'm
    right - my IP's are the same on each PC with my Belkin router) then nothing
    worked.
    I had a quick look last time and the settings were more or less the same
    (except IP address for each machine). File sharing is perfect on all of them
    though.

    Anyway, thanks for the advice - I'll have a good look at them again.
    James

    JJ, May 2, 2005
  6. JJ

    Dave Stanton Guest

    Does'nt sound like much of an network engineeer.

    Dave

    Dave Stanton, May 2, 2005
  7. static IP addressing is fine but only if you get the settings right.
    they may have got that working with NetBEUI or something, having
    screwed up the IP addressing, who knows.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, May 2, 2005