    but cant quite anderstand the concept of 'wiring' the 2 together.
    Disable DCHP on the 2nd router and connect via lan port to lan port? or
    do I need a RJ11 to RJ45 cable ..... or am I way wide of the mark?

    Jack Ouzzi, May 21, 2006

  2. Jack Ouzzi

    Alex Fraser Guest

    If you connect LAN port to LAN port, you'll gain two LAN ports. This is
    functionally equivalent to connecting a four port switch to the first router
    (ie you are using the second router as a switch); you still have just one
    network.

    You can't (well, it doesn't make sense and may cause damage to) connect the
    second router's ADSL port to a LAN port on the first. Just like you can't
    connect a dial-up modem or ordinary telephone.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, May 21, 2006

  3. Jack Ouzzi

    Geoff Lane Guest

    I think the second NAT router needs to be of the Cable type (DSL) as
    an ADSL router needs a phone line for the incoming traffic.

    Have a read of Steve Gibson's excellent site at
    http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm#40
    and go to the article on NAT Routers as Firewalls near the bottom of
    the page (Episode #3 | 01 Sep 2005 | 25 min).

    Either listen to the podcast of download the PDF file.

    For a quicker read try www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, May 21, 2006
  4. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    Many thanks Geoff. The excellent article above prompted my question
    ..... I can't understand the 'electrical connection' paragraph!!

    BTW the podcasts are the dogs dangly bits ..... such an enthusiastic
    bloke!!

    Jack Ouzzi, May 22, 2006