    when in the office it uses a work proxy. I disable this for work with my
    home connection - but what else could there be??

    Andy

    Maggot, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Maggot

    Rob Morley Guest

    I don't use Internet Exploder, but here's a couple of possibilities -
    there's something like Javascript that those sites need, but is disabled
    someone at work has tweaked the DNS to stop you visiting those sites

    Rob Morley, May 1, 2004

  3. It's almost certainly something installed on your laptop. For example, if
    you go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and add a line like:-
    127.0.0.1 www.bbc.co.uk
    then all references on your PC to www.bbc.co.uk will resolve back to your
    own PC and it will look like www.bbc.co.uk is being blocked. Note, if your
    browser uses a remote proxy then this won't work as the name www.bbc.co.uk
    is sent to the proxy and the name is resolved there, not on your own PC.
    BTW, the hosts file is a simple text file that can be changed with notepad
    or write.

    Mark.

    Mark Ferguson, May 3, 2004
  4. Maggot

    Maggot Guest

    Mark,

    Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid it didn't get me any further. I
    checked the host file and it just has the default line 127.0.0.1 localhost.
    I also tried reduced the security and privacy settings to their lowest, but
    that made no difference either. I also wondered whether my ISP could be
    blocking these sites, but this can't be right as my home PC goes straight to
    these sites with no problem.

    I notice that both hotmail and ebay go straight into https pages, and wonder
    whether it's something to do with SSL, but can't imagine what. Could be
    another dead end.

    Pulling my hair out in frustration. That and a VERY wet bank holiday
    Monday...

    Cheers,
    Andy

    Maggot, May 3, 2004
  5. Maggot

    Rob Morley Guest

    You could set up a HTTP proxy on your home machine, and point the laptop
    at that - wouldn't answer the question, but would provide a workaround.

    Rob Morley, May 3, 2004
  6. Andy,

    Do both machines use the same DNS? I think Rob's idea of proxying through
    your home PC might be a quick workaround. have a look at
    http://www.proxomitron.info

    Mark.

    Mark Ferguson, May 3, 2004
  7. Maggot

    Andy M Guest

    Thanks for your help Mark & Rob. I really want to try these
    suggestions out, but I'm working away from home at the moment and
    hence can't access my home connection. I'm going to try the proxy and
    the DNS settings when I return on Thursday, and will post then to make
    sure you know how this concludes.

    Thx, Andy

    Andy M, May 4, 2004