    I prefer to ask for opinions before I attempt it as I have a habit of
    stuffing things up

    Cheers and thanks

    Ockerr, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Ockerr

    Unk Guest

    No, only one DSL modem at a time. If you plug in both, one won't sync until the
    other is removed. A router is the way to go. eBay for $20.00 or less.

    Without a router, one machine would have to connect to the internet through the
    other machine. In other words, both machines have to be on for the 2nd to have
    connectability.

    Networking resources:
    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
    http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
    http://smallnetbuilder.com/

    Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    How-to: Simple 2 Computer Network wo/hub
    http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm

    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304040

    Unk, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Ockerr

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | >Hi guys
    | >I have 2 Computers each in seperate rooms
    | >I have one ADSL line and a ADSL Modem on each computer.
    | >I want to use one Computer , My Wife wants to use the other
    | >Can we each connect at the same time to the Internet.
    | >I dont want to go out and Buy a Router (More expence)
    | >As ADSL is a open line connected at all times I thought it could be done.
    | >Is it Just a case of Installing each Modem on the Computers and
    Connecting??
    | >If it asks for a password would they conflict
    | >
    | >I prefer to ask for opinions before I attempt it as I have a habit of
    | >stuffing things up
    | >
    | >Cheers and thanks
    | >
    | No, only one DSL modem at a time. If you plug in both, one won't sync
    until the
    | other is removed. A router is the way to go. eBay for $20.00 or less.
    |
    | Without a router, one machine would have to connect to the internet
    through the
    | other machine. In other words, both machines have to be on for the 2nd to
    have
    | connectability.

    Point left out - they would *still* have to network the two computers. And
    if the DSL modem uses the NIC in the "host" PC, they'd have to add another
    NIC. I agree with the router idea, especially since it adds NAT for free <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Ockerr

    Unk Guest

    Yes, and the new NIC would cost almost as much as a router. I bought a dozen
    factory-referbished (and sealed) DL-604's at a computer show for $15.00 each.

    Unk, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Ockerr

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:22:50 -0800, "Toolman Tim"

    | >| >|
    | >Connecting??

    | >| No, only one DSL modem at a time. If you plug in both, one won't sync
    | >until the
    | >| other is removed. A router is the way to go. eBay for $20.00 or less.
    | >|
    | >| Without a router, one machine would have to connect to the internet
    | >through the
    | >| other machine. In other words, both machines have to be on for the 2nd
    | >have
    | >| connectability.
    | >
    | >Point left out - they would *still* have to network the two computers.
    And
    | >if the DSL modem uses the NIC in the "host" PC, they'd have to add
    another
    | >NIC. I agree with the router idea, especially since it adds NAT for free
    <g>

    | Yes, and the new NIC would cost almost as much as a router. I bought a
    dozen
    | factory-referbished (and sealed) DL-604's at a computer show for $15.00
    each.

    True. Can't live without a spare here myself ;o)

    | >| Networking resources:
    | >| http://www.wown.com/
    | >| http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    | >| http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
    | >| http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
    | >| http://smallnetbuilder.com/
    | >|

    Toolman Tim, Nov 14, 2004
  6. Ockerr

    SueNet Guest

    2 adsl modems need two seperate phone lines, both provisioned for adsl. I
    have an adsl modem at my office and one at my home. I can use the same
    username and password on both modems and have been doing so for over a
    year now. I do have two accounts however and can go back to different
    usernames and passwords should the adsl provider complain.

    SueNet, Nov 14, 2004