    Try it yourself. You may be surprised. In my case, there was a brief
    disconnection but then the connection came back up and was OK.

    Also... Please don't top-post.

    NoNeedToKnow, Dec 2, 2006

  2. NoNeedToKnow

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    Try it yourself. You may be surprised.

    NoNeedToKnow, Dec 2, 2006

  3. NoNeedToKnow

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Curiousity.

    Could one actually plug two ADSL routers into different ADSL outlets
    on the same line.

    I appreciate the problem with IP address assignment but am wondering
    if two routers are plugged in to different ADSL sockets would it
    effectively give you two different local networks.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 2, 2006
  4. NoNeedToKnow

    William4 Guest

    Don't be daft. You'll end up with nothing working.

    William4, Dec 2, 2006
  5. NoNeedToKnow

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    You could ,but only one would actually connect.

    --
    Alex

    "I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

    www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

    Dr Zoidberg, Dec 2, 2006
  6. NoNeedToKnow

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    I suspect even that might be fraught. I've never bothered trying, but
    I might well do, tomorrow, to see just what happens to my existing
    connection (I suspect the second router will generate sufficient
    noise to interfere with the first, and cause it to drop sync).

    NoNeedToKnow, Dec 2, 2006
  7. NoNeedToKnow

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Be interested to know what happens.

    I appreciate an ADSL modem is different to a cable modem but you can
    have more than one of the latter.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 2, 2006
  8. NoNeedToKnow

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    I did try things, though not exhaustively. I had ADSL router #1 (the
    one which was already in use) connected, and streamed some audio, and
    plugged in another router (#2) at the master socket, from which #1 is
    connected via an extension cable. #1 disconnected briefly, then the
    audio stream continued without a problem.

    I then switched off router #1, which allowed router #2 to connect (as
    verified by the same audio stream, being restarted, and control panel
    of router #2 was accessed - they are both set to the same IP address)
    and then power was enabled again on router #1. Audio stopped, and it
    was apparent that router #1 was establishing connection (problem that
    it won't display the control panel while attempting to establish link
    again). After a while (TV ads finished, so came back some time later
    on) it was clear that router #1 was connected and router #2 caused no
    'interference' despite my expectation... of course it might be there
    is better circuitry in router #1, and it can handle any noise from #2
    better than the other way round (#2 is a few years old, #1 was bought
    in the last few months) but I had previously seen suggestions there'd
    be neither connected/working and that clearly isn't the case. So, it
    is still true that only one *might* work, because clearly two cannot,
    but it isn't clear whether the combination you have would also have
    one working and one not. I suppose there may be *some* advantage
    in having two powered up on the same line, but if it is for any
    form of 'backup' then having another router (on a separate phone
    line, which is the way I am set up) would be a more reliable method.

    NoNeedToKnow, Dec 2, 2006
  9. NoNeedToKnow

    Conor Guest

    No. You'd end up with nothing working. There is only one ADSL signal
    and it's non routable at your end.

    Conor, Dec 2, 2006
  10. unlikely, other times I have plugged ADSL kit into line which already
    had a working connection running I found the latter stopped. Usually
    it wouldn't connect again either, but with MaxDSL it may manage to get
    some sort of low speed link.

    The chance of two modems on one line achieving sync at the same time
    are zero.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 3, 2006
  11. NoNeedToKnow

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    Something to add... I did notice (but didn't record exact figures)
    that whereas router #2 usually shows a sync speed of 7xxx-8xxx kbps
    for the downstream speed, it was showing 32xx. I re-ran the test,
    just now, and router #1 went from a regular 8128 kbps down to 4800
    kbps (which explains the lower download speeds all night... would
    have been better if I had taken router #2 off the BT line, but I
    had no need to plug in any telephones, so left it plugged in).

    NoNeedToKnow, Dec 3, 2006
  12. NoNeedToKnow

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    Agreed, which was why I had taken the excerpt of the earlier post saying
    "You'd end up with nothing working." as I found that not to be the case.
    With router #1 on the line but with no power, router #2 went down
    from a usual 7000-8000 kbps to just over 3000 for downstream.

    With router #1 powered up, and router #2 powered up, the sync
    speed for router #1 decreased from 8128 to 4800 kbps (I got a
    backlog of podcasts and saw the transfer at around 4000 kbps
    throughout). Removing the power from router #2 made no change
    (no disconnect) for router #1, while disconnecting the RJ11 from
    router #2 caused router #1 to lose sync, then go back to 8128 kbps.

    [ uk.telecom.broadband added as it might be of interest to someone :-]

    NoNeedToKnow, Dec 3, 2006
  13. NoNeedToKnow

    Conor Guest

    I have.

    Conor, Dec 3, 2006
  14. NoNeedToKnow

    William4 Guest

    So you got "2 ADSL Routers on One Line" working ?

    I think not - not working as the OP meant anyway, not working in the true
    sense of 'working'.

    Yes, maybe all drop out and *one* would sync - not the same.

    ITPIIWT

    William4, Dec 3, 2006
  15. NoNeedToKnow

    Geoff Lane Guest

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 22:28:19 +0000, NoNeedToKnow

    Thanks for excellent detailed experiment :)))
    My curiosity was sparked by possibly getting a spare ADSL router and
    what to do with it. Two routers could offer two different local
    network subnets.
    Initially I was considering a DSL Cable router to plug in to my ADSL
    router to give the second subnet.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 5, 2006
  16. NoNeedToKnow

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    I got one cheap on Ebay some time back, to be able to have a LAN that
    connects a wireless access point to an old ISDN router such that the
    "WAN" side of the router is connected to the hub on the ISDN router
    to allow me to access either item, but (because of NAT) there's no
    way for anything to access the "LAN" side of the cable router...

    So a hacker can connect via WiFi but will only get to the ISDN unit
    and cannot 'see' anything on my L

    NoNeedToKnow, Dec 5, 2006