    great. everything works. maybe

    will the cordless phones screw up the network, or do i have to get a 5.8g
    phone system?

    steve, Nov 26, 2004

  2. On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:49:19 GMT, steve spoketh
    Well, the DSS phone should not interfere, the only way to know for sure
    is to test it ...

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net

    Lars M. Hansen, Nov 26, 2004

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    yes it is a dss, is that the key?

    steve, Nov 26, 2004
  4. steve

    Dave VanHorn Guest

    My panasonic is DSS, and I have no observable problems.

    Dave VanHorn, Nov 26, 2004
  5. steve

    Ron Hunter Guest

    There may be some speed degradation, or retransmissions, during phone
    use, but I haven't heard a lot of complaints about this.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 1, 2004
  6. steve

    Pablo Guest

    In a word, yes. I have an 802.11g router and a 2.4g cordless phone. If I'm
    sitting at my laptop and I start talking on my coordless phone, BLAMMO, I
    lose my wireless network connection. There's little you can do about this.
    Because it's spread spectrum (802.11) switching the channel will be of
    little help, although you should try experimenting. But there's a double
    whammy with that: your cordless phone often switches channels too, and
    automatically. The next time you talk on it, it may have decided that the
    place you set your router is the best frequency range and so you just spend
    your time chasing rainbows. Believe it or not, a number of people I know
    have actually kept their old cheap 900 mhz cordless phones and they have no
    trouble whatsoever.

    Paul

    Pablo, Dec 6, 2004
  7. steve

    Dave VanHorn Guest

    FHSS phones will hose up your wireless. DSS won't.

    Dave VanHorn, Dec 6, 2004
  8. steve

    Doug Jamal Guest

    < SNIPPED >

    Unlike others, I have yet to experience any conflicts between my
    wireless G products and my 2.4GHz cordless phone. I am on the internet
    several hours a day and Often, I talk on my cordless phone while surfing
    the 'net using my wireless enabled notebook pc on my lap. Lucky me, huh?

    Doug Jamal, Dec 7, 2004
  9. steve

    Pablo Guest

    I'd say you did get lucky. Dave Van Horn above, replied that DSS phones
    won't interfere, so it's possible you have an FHSS phone. Frankly, all I
    know is I have a Uniden 2.4gig cordless. My 802.11g signal is good all the
    way throughout the house, but if someone gets on that phone and stands
    between the router and me, let alone I talk on the phone while sitting at
    the laptop, it's all gone. And with my house, being anywhere in the house
    is being between my router and me. I have a three story (with basement)
    house, and the router (linksys wrt54g) sits in the basement, so the signal
    goes up vertically through all the floors nicely. But if I'm upstairs and
    someone's on the first floor, I'm dead.

    Paul

    Pablo, Dec 7, 2004
  10. steve

    Doug Jamal Guest

    Bummer! How do you plan on resolving your issue? Will you try a
    different brand cordless phone? My cordless phone is a GE 2.4GHz (model
    2108GE2-A).

    Doug Jamal, Dec 8, 2004
  11. On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:08:57 GMT, steve spoketh
    Yes, that is pretty much the solution.

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net

    Lars M. Hansen, Dec 8, 2004
  12. On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:27:46 GMT, Doug Jamal spoketh
    I have a VTech 2651, which is a 2.4GHz DSS phone, and it does not
    interfere with my wireless network...

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net

    Lars M. Hansen, Dec 8, 2004
  13. steve

    bumtracks Guest

    I'm in need of a new phone, best for here would be one with a separate
    remote charger/handset.
    I dunno 2.4gHz telephony - read that many 2.4 DSS phones use FHSS for added
    security.
    How do we read the box or otherwise determine which DSS phones don't use
    frequency hopping ?

    bumtracks, Dec 8, 2004
  14. steve

    Dave VanHorn Guest

    I dunno 2.4gHz telephony - read that many 2.4 DSS phones use FHSS for
    A phone will use one or the other system. Not both.

    Mine said it was DSS on the box.
    If in doubt, bring a receiver, and see if you see carrier bursts. If so,
    it's hopping.
    An Icom IC-R3 is really handy for this.

    Dave VanHorn, Dec 9, 2004
  15. steve

    Pablo Guest

    [SNIP]
    Actually, I hate to sound defeatist, but I don't intend on solving it. If I
    were running a home business and needed constant connectivity through wind,
    rain and snow, I'd probably do something about it. But we use the laptop as
    a mobile web/browser, email device, mp3 ripper and we have an old fashioned
    wired desktop system that's the real workhorse. If someone gets on the
    phone, we wait until they're off. If it's real important that the laptop
    continue to work, we call that person back on one of our cell phones.
    Eventually we'll probably buy a 5.8ghz phone, and just get off the 2.4g band
    altogether.

    Paul

    Pablo, Dec 11, 2004
  16. Just curious, why not a 900 mhz phone? That solved it for my household.

    Airman Thunderbird, Dec 11, 2004
  17. steve

    Pablo Guest

    We don't own one. And we don't intend on buying a new cordless at the
    moment. Like I said, no real rush to fix the problem, it's what you would
    call a workable problem. And again, if I were going to go out any buy a new
    cordless, I'd probably go buy one of the new 5.8ghz.

    Paul

    Pablo, Dec 21, 2004