1TB external bus-powered SSD drive with Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, May 30, 2014.

  1.
    John McWilliams, Jun 3, 2014

  2. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    I get online access through my local public library. That said, I pay
    for it through taxes.

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014

  3. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Every so often I am tempted to write a book about that. The only reason
    I don't is that it could embarrass the swindler's family. The swindler
    is long passed.

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  4. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/2/2014 4:15 AM, android wrote:

    There is a big difference between sitting in a car in a showroom and
    taking it out on the road for a few days. (I used to rent a car before I
    bought it. The average fifteen minute test drive is inadequate. Sitting
    in the showroom is ony good for eliminating ease of access issues.

    INHO For my purposes the Lexus RX350 is one of the better riding cars,
    in its category. I test drove similar models of the Mercedes, Accura and
    BMW. The Accura didn't come close, and the other two were not worth the
    difference in price.

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  5. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  6. Sandman

    android Guest

    Commie!

    That said, I pay
    That's what "they" always say!!!

    android, Jun 3, 2014
  7. Sandman

    android Guest

    Cheepooo!

    android, Jun 3, 2014
  8. Sandman

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, Jun 3, 2014
  9. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    it is when it's waiting on data to or from the disk drive, which for
    graphics, is almost always the case. that's why faster hard drives
    speed up photoshop.

    Guest, Jun 3, 2014
  10. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Sandman, Jun 3, 2014
  11. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    \

    Yup!

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  12. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    it absolutely is processing, but starved for data so it's limited in
    how fast it can do it.
    cpu benchmarks are meaningless in the real world because they ignore
    everything else that matters.
    of course it's part of the processing.

    you're focused on individual aspects, not the big picture.
    incorrect.

    one of the best ways to speed up photoshop is use a faster hard drive,
    which is why many hard core photoshop users use raid arrays and more
    recently, ssd.

    photoshop maintains multiple buffers in memory for speed and other
    reasons, which means that images will use a *lot* more memory than they
    might first appear.

    if you have a slower drive, it will affect the overall performance.

    Guest, Jun 3, 2014
  13. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    OMG Hell freezes over. nospam agrees with something I said.

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  14. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  15. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    both of which are part of the workflow.

    however, you're forgetting about the scratch buffers that photoshop
    maintains, which do *not* all fit in memory unless your image is
    unusually small.

    you're also forgetting about memory bandwidth in getting data into the
    processor to calculate whatever and then back to memory when it's done.
    most of what photoshop does are simple calculations (e.g., adjust
    brightness) on a *lot* of pixels which makes it i/o bound, not cpu
    bound.

    Guest, Jun 3, 2014
  16. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    I'm sure you did not intend that pun.

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  17. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    actually i did.

    Guest, Jun 3, 2014
  18. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    If it is waiting, it is not processing. It's a binary state. It is either
    processing data or it is not. It can't process data "slow" due to disk
    speed, disk speed only affects the time it takes to move data into the
    memory space it needs to be in order to be processed.

    A processor works at a given frequency, regardless of disk speed. If the
    CPU is "waiting" for data, it is not processing data. Those are two
    seperate tasks.
    That doesn't change the facts.
    No, I am focused on the original question:

    John McWilliams
    05/30/2014 <lmabna$ulq$>

    "Are you quite sure that the speed of an external drive will
    in fact speed up processing? Last time I looked into it, the
    answer was no, but times change, and processing methods move
    about as well."

    An external, or internal, drive won't "speed up processing" or "processing
    methods", since both processing and processing methods are seperate from
    the drive speed.
    No, correct.
    No, you are only speeding up the time it takes Photoshop to read and write
    the file, not to process it.
    But Photoshop need to be pushed EXTREMELY hard in order to swap that to
    disk. A normal photographer is never ever anywhere near that limit.
    But not processing.

    Sandman, Jun 3, 2014
  19. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    But not part of the processing, which is one part of the workflow, which is
    what takes place inside Photoshop (or Lightroom or Aperture or whatever)
    after you have opened the file.
    Photoshop will *only* use a scratch disk if it runs out of RAM, never
    before. And with todays computers, Photoshop will never run out of RAM
    while working on photos from normal photographers.

    I have 8GB of RAM in this iMac, which is hardly unusually large, Photoshop
    by default only use 5GB. Without any files, PS use 152MB of RAM on my
    system. If I open a single RAW file from my D800E, which is a 36MP photo,
    the RAM usage comes up to a whopping 257MB. Even if we account for double
    that RAM when adding some layer effects and whatnot, you could still open
    25 such images in Photoshop before you got close to the RAM limit.
    But not *disk* bound. Fast RAM is *essential* to processing.

    Sandman, Jun 3, 2014
  20. How 'bout a Q+D version, names elided....?

    John McWilliams, Jun 4, 2014