    photographer, I would never buy another drive from LaCie. That is what
    is important. Mine went bad about a week after the warranty expired.

    <http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2>

    PeterN, Jun 1, 2014

  2. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    My daughter has a La Cie external hard drive (one of those orange
    armored ones) that has functioned perfectly for about five years.
    However, the claim is not that *all* La Cie products are lemons.

    It was a Christmas gift from me to her. At the time, La Cie's were
    recommended as good products. I wouldn't chose La Cie today, though.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 1, 2014

  3. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    which for drives, is the drive manufacturer.

    la cie doesn't make drives. they buy them and put them in a box and
    power supply.[/QUOTE]

    Good Lord. All airplanes are made with components purchased from
    outside vendors. If a particular maker of airplanes is having serious
    problems with component failures, your position would be that it's not
    their fault? You don't think the fault is in choosing the vendor and
    continuing to choose the vendor?

    Tony Cooper, Jun 1, 2014
  4. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    You know the probable answer. "nobody said anything about airplanes." Or
    a variation thereof.

    PeterN, Jun 1, 2014
  5. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    nobody said they aren't responsible for any failure. more of your
    twisting.

    it's not their fault that something they didn't manufacture fails. how
    could it be?

    la cie warrants the entire package, but if a part they buy fails, then
    their cost to repair it is reimbursed by the maker of said part under
    its oem warranty. standard stuff.

    you do not have the right to seek damages from the part maker, in this
    case a hard drive, because the drive does not have an end-user
    warranty. it has an oem warranty to la cie, who bought it to put in an
    enclosure.

    if you bought the hard drive retail, then you get an end-user warranty,
    which is often longer than the oem warranty to the box maker.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2014
  6. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    you *still* don't get it.

    i never said anything about *continuing* to choose a vendor who
    supplies faulty parts.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2014
  7. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    wrong on that too.

    it applies to airplanes.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2014
  8. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    ...and that is bus powered via USB or FW.[/QUOTE]

    which means no power supply to fail.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2014
  9. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    and as he also knows, gravity is only in effect when looking down.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2014
  10. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    As predictable as the sun (appearing to) rise in the East.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 1, 2014
  11. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    So what is your position, then? That La Cie chose a different vendor
    for each run, and each different vendor sent them faulty components?

    They either continued to buy from a vendor who was supplying inferior
    components, or they made a series of decisions to buy from vendors who
    supplied inferior components.

    Either way, it's their fault.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 1, 2014
  12. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    explained already, multiple times.
    this isn't about continuing to use faulty parts.
    you *still* don't get it.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2014
  13. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    No, I don't. And never will. To excuse a manufacturer from supplying
    products that fail because they didn't make the failing part, and only
    purchased it, is not something I'll ever get.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 1, 2014
  14. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    i can see that.
    not what i said at all

    Guest, Jun 1, 2014
  15. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    How little you know about this.
    I do have to congratulate you. From the time of my posting, you have
    read and interpreted the entire Article 2 of the UCC.
    Do stop blustering.

    PeterN, Jun 1, 2014
  16. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/1/2014 12:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    A well known international law firm was not the least bit suspicious
    when it purchased a non-existent residential housing complex for several
    million dollars. The name of the property manager was Wylie Coyote.

    PeterN, Jun 1, 2014
  17. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    So it applies to airplanes, but not LaCie.
    verry interesting.

    PeterN, Jun 1, 2014
  18. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    that's what happens with any thread in which tony participates.
    anything at all? what will apple, google and microsoft stock be in 1
    year?
    made to spec is what matters. that spec is not sufficient for the
    product causing premature failure.
    exactly, and when one fails, they get it replaced by the oem. it's not
    their fault it failed.
    also true.

    the difference is the power supply, over which la cie *does* have
    control since they spec'ed it.
    seagate drives are generally very good, unless you get a batch, such as
    the ones where the heads delaminated, or the firmware had issues.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2014
  19. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    far more than you'll ever know.
    nothing in there contradicts anything i said.
    i'm not the one who is blustering.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2014
  20. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    wrong on that too. jeezus you're a moron.

    it applies to every single company, namely the ones who buy
    subassemblies they did not build.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2014