    If the assertion is true, what is LaCie doing that the OEMs ore not doing.

    i use Western Digital and Seagate USB drives and have seen about an
    equal failure rate. I know my report is anecdotal, but.....

    PeterN, May 30, 2014

  2. Sandman

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/05/2014 21:33, PeterN wrote:

    (...)
    AFAIK LaCie had a series of enclosures with unfortunate thermal design.
    Basically the drives died of heatstroke... The more expensive d2
    enclosures were fine in that regard, they had a fan, but there seem to
    have been issued with a batch of power supplies as well. The older PSUs
    had a 4-pin DIN connector, never had an issue with those, but at some
    point they switched to 5-Volt connectors, probably for cost reasons.

    Both issues are in the past AFAIK, but the bad reputation lingers on.

    Joe Kotroczo, May 30, 2014

  3. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    now they do.

    that wasn't always the case.

    Guest, May 30, 2014
  4. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    all of them, until seagate bought them.

    Guest, May 30, 2014
  5. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    power supplies. try to keep up.
    exactly.

    Guest, May 30, 2014
  6. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    to their specs.

    Guest, May 30, 2014
  7. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    China has a well earned reputation for sub-par quality control. (Though
    it is getting better.) Some of organizations have their own QC people on
    site.

    PeterN, May 30, 2014
  8. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    As difficult as it may be for you, do try not to acct like an asshole.

    PeterN, May 30, 2014
  9. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    they do have a reputation for using shitty power supplies.

    Guest, May 31, 2014
  10. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    i did write that and yes it is a reputation because it wasn't just a
    one-time thing.

    bad batches of drives do happen (or any part really) but it's dealt
    with and later versions don't have the issue. not so with power
    supplies.
    that's the whole point.

    Guest, May 31, 2014
  11. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    bingo.

    Guest, May 31, 2014
  12. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    And yet you insist it isn't their fault.

    Tony Cooper, May 31, 2014
  13. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    you're seriously confused, or you're intentionally trolling again.

    i never said it wasn't their fault.

    Guest, May 31, 2014
  14. I'd avoid LaCie too. I had a factory drive fail early on the first
    revision "5big" RAID and the only way to get it fixed under warranty was
    to return the whole thing and get a new one two weeks later. That's
    really not grasping the "no downtime" feature of RAID 5.

    Amazon seems to have Thunderbolt powered SSD.

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D2YMK86
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HQCARY
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4D6LJ4
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FNKAYQ

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 31, 2014
  15. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    not so what?

    you're not making any sense.
    ok

    Guest, May 31, 2014
  16. Sandman

    J. Clarke Guest

    Are they generic wall-warts? If not then they are made to order and
    LaCie should have control over the quality.

    The thing about the Chinese is that they _can_ make things as good as
    the US or Japan but what they _will_ make is exactly what the contract
    specifies, no more, no less, and if the product they are making for you
    is crap it's because you didn't specify adequate quality control
    procedures in the contract.

    J. Clarke, May 31, 2014
  17. Sandman

    J. Clarke Guest

    I wouldn't have bought one in the first place. The first Lacie product
    I saw claimed to be a (IIRC) 2GB drive. I wondered how this was
    possible when there were no other such on the market and I had never
    heard of Lacie before--were they a new startup drive manufacturer I
    wondered. Took a lot of digging to find out that it was just a box with
    two commodity drives inside it. So I got two commodity drives instead
    and saved quite a lot.

    J. Clarke, May 31, 2014
  18. Sandman

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    Odd, the one's I had did not mention LaCie anywhere on them, just
    different Chinese OEM manufaturers. But otherwise the same, inline
    bricks. Although I think one of the cheaper more recent ones had a
    wall-wart.

    Joe Kotroczo, May 31, 2014
  19. Sandman

    J. Clarke Guest

    Well, that pretty much rules out their being generic and Chinese.
    They're probably generic Japanese instead with the fancy writing being
    the only custom part.

    J. Clarke, May 31, 2014
  20. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Yes indeed they can, but as I previously posted, they frequently don't.
    They have many habits which are a holdover from the days when everything
    was owned by the State. Many Chinese people think that if a restaurant
    has a gilded look the food must be bad. So quite often you get the best
    authentic Chinese food in a grungy looking restaurant. (Please note that
    grungy is not = dirty.)

    PeterN, May 31, 2014