    I have not had problems with a number of LaCie disks, but perhaps
    because I don't keep them powered up continually. I just bought a 1TB
    drive that's plenty fast for backups (Thunderbolt, ISB powered.)

    John McWilliams, May 30, 2014

  2. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    who said anything about continually failing?

    there you go adding things that were not said.
    they'll likely change sources, but only *after* they see a higher than
    normal failure rate, which might not be for a while.

    also, like anything, disk drives can be part of a bad batch which only
    becomes apparent well after they've been sourced and later batches are
    just fine, so there's no need to change anything.

    there have been a few of these over the years, including the then ibm
    (now hitachi) deskstar from a decade or so ago, head delamination in
    seagate drives which was around 5 years ago, problematic shake sensors
    in western digital drives (not sure when on those), etc.
    the problem with la cie is they have shitty power supplies.

    Guest, May 30, 2014

  3. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    the mechanism itself is almost certainly fine, unless the power supply
    failed in a way that damaged the drive (possible but not usually what
    happens).

    Guest, May 30, 2014
  4. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    it depends on where the bottleneck is.

    an ssd on thunderbolt is likely to be a benefit, but on usb 2, it will
    not be, since any decent laptop drive can saturate a usb 2 connection.
    if you don't use the power supply, it a lot less likely to fail.

    Guest, May 30, 2014
  5. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Uh, yeah? That's what I just said, wasn't it? Not sure what this link is
    supposed to show me other than what I just said is indeed correct :)

    You'll also note that OWC doesn't currently even sell these disks in a TB
    enclsoure, which is just weird. So I would have to buy a smaller drive that
    does come in a TB enclsoure, and then the disk seperately and transplant it
    all. As I said, just weird.

    So, the only OWC solution is to get the cheapest On-the-go external hard
    drive they have, which is this one, that you've linked to:

    <http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MOTGTBH5T1.0/>

    That's $215. Then get their largest capacity SSD, which is this one:

    <http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDEX3G960/>

    For $649, ending up at $864, which is a quite reasonable price. But then
    I'd still have the slower 3G drive, and a spare 1TB mechanical drive that I
    have no use for. What I want is this:

    <http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MOTGS3U3/>

    But with Thunderbolt, and then add the SSD disk. Well, really though,
    scratch that, what I want is THIS:

    <http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MEMD3F0GB/>

    But with TB, and two of these inside:

    <http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSD7P6G480/>

    That's $890 for the entire package, which would be really sweet.

    OWC really should seperate their store into disks and enclosures, so I
    would pick enclsoure and then add a disk or two to it. So they would have a
    slew of enclsoures and a slew of disks. Their site is a real mess as it is.

    Sandman, May 30, 2014
  6. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Sandman, May 30, 2014
  7. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    No, they don't. For the baseline 6G, they're comparable, but for the
    "EXTEREME", they're not anymore.

    3G 6G 6G Extreme
    120GB $79 $80 $129
    240GB $148 $150 $229
    480GB $285 $292 $400

    Xfer 280MB/s 556MB/s 559MB/s

    In other words, there would be no reason to pick 3G over 6G

    Sandman, May 30, 2014
  8. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Hasn't that been the point of the comments about La Cie? Comments
    about the failing of La Cie components? You, above, mentioned "disk
    failures".

    I'm not adding anything. I'm commenting on what *has* been said.
    Isn't that what the comments in this thread have been about? Failure
    of La Cie components?
    So, the power supply is a component of the complete product, is it
    not?

    What's it take to get La Cie to change vendors on the parts they buy
    to make the power supplies or the power supplies that they buy?

    You aren't making sense here.

    Tony Cooper, May 30, 2014
  9. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Speed up processing? What processing? I want to speed up the reading and
    writing of files. Processing is done with the processor, and has nothing to
    do with the speed of the drives.
    Do you mean photo processing/post processing? Then no, it won't be sped up
    with the drives. But I've never felt I don't have enough processing power
    for images (well, sure, 36MP RAW files from my D800E can be a bit beefy to
    work with).

    Sandman, May 30, 2014
  10. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    What part that fails is unimportant, and no power supplies have ever
    failed. Most, if not all, Lacie drives have failed.

    Sandman, May 30, 2014
  11. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    nobody said continual failures. you added that part.

    the drive is one component of the entire product, and a component that
    la cie does *not* make so it *can't* be their fault if it fails.

    if they get a bad batch of drives, then they get a bad batch. drives
    can also fail because they have moving parts. that's the drive maker's
    fault, not la cie.

    la cie *does* make their power supplies and if they fail, it's la cie's
    fault because they designed it and made it.

    very simple.

    Guest, May 30, 2014
  12. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    it does if it's i/o bound.

    Guest, May 30, 2014
  13. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    it's very important because it determines how easily it can be fixed,
    if it can be fixed at all.

    if a drive mechanism fails, it's usually catastrophic, such as a head
    crash or a head delamination. that is *not* fixable and you will need a
    drive recovery service to get any data that was not directly affected
    by the damage.

    a power supply failure is easy to fix. either get a new enclosure or
    just get a replacement adapter and you're back in business.
    that's not the usual case.

    Guest, May 30, 2014
  14. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    What *are* you talking about? If a company is known for failure of
    certain components, year-after-year, is that not "continual failure"?
    What an insane position. If you start a company to make a particular
    product, purchase a component for that product from another source,
    and your product does not work because that component fails
    year-after-year but you continue to buy that same component from that
    vendor, is it not *your* fault?
    When it happens with one production run, it's the drive maker's fault.
    When it happens with production run after production run, it's your
    fault if you continue to use the same supplier.
    Very stupid.

    Tony Cooper, May 30, 2014
  15. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    who said anything about year after year?
    who said anything about year after year?

    all of the enclosure companies buy from the same drive manufacturers,
    and the chances of getting a bum drive are pretty much the same no
    matter who you get the box from.

    on the other hand, power supply failures with la cie enclosures are
    higher than other companies because la cie makes inadequate and poorly
    designed power supplies.

    i don't know why you can't understand something so simple.
    la cie has had power supply failures for years and hasn't done much to
    fix it.

    they have no way of knowing if a drive they're going to buy will fail.
    it's not like seagate, hitachi or western digital has a category for
    'drives that failed our q/a'.
    that you are.

    Guest, May 30, 2014
  16. Sandman

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    Nope. And I believe the reason for that is this:

    https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/certification

    "Thunderbolt certification is a rigorous process in order to ensure an
    optimal user experience. Peripheral devices are certified to be
    compatible with specific operating systems and the devices are not end
    user upgradeable for additional operating system compatibility."

    So that seems to rule out the possibility of ever seeing empty
    Thunderbolt enclosures, they would not pass certification because they
    are by design "user upgradeable".

    Joe Kotroczo, May 30, 2014
  17. Sandman

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/05/2014 17:09, James Silverton wrote:
    (...)

    Erm, those GB are Gigabytes, not Pound Sterling.

    Joe Kotroczo, May 30, 2014
  18. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Which drive manufacturer does LaCie purchase its drives from?

    PeterN, May 30, 2014
  19. Sandman

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/05/2014 15:23, Tony Cooper wrote:

    (...)
    Not anymore... :) LaCie has been bought by Seagate in 2012.

    Nah, they don't manufacture them, they buy them OEM in China.

    Joe Kotroczo, May 30, 2014
  20. Sandman

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/05/2014 20:57, PeterN wrote:

    (...)
    Seagate, since Seagate owns LaCie.

    There's only 3 hard drive manufacturers left anyway: Western Digital,
    Seagate and Toshiba.

    Seagate bought Maxtor in 2006 and Samsung in 2011. And LaCie in 2012.

    WD bought Hitachi GST in 2012. Hitachi bought IBM's hard drive business
    in 2003. Maxtor had bought Quantum previously, which in turn had bought
    DEC's storage division. And WD bought Hoya at some point.

    Toshiba bought Fujitsu in 2009.

    Joe Kotroczo, May 30, 2014