1MBit/sec Broadband qualification

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Stone Free, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. Stone Free

    Stone Free Guest

    I was waiting for the free speed upgrade from plusnet. I kept looking back
    at the bt_speed_upgrade_programme pdf to see when my DSLAM would be
    upgraded starting in May. At the beginning of August I contacted plusnet
    who said that my regrade had been tried 15/06/2005 and was unsuccessful.

    I questioned this as my router was me figures of 50db Attenuation and SNR
    of 29db. I said I thought that the required attenuation for 1Mbps was
    below 60db, and that routers were usually only out between -/+3db.

    The then said that they would try a woosh test to get accurate stats.
    After the test they said my line should be able to take the 1Mbit service
    and that BT are aiming to complete the bulk regrade programme in September.

    I contacted them a few days ago as it still hadn't happend, and the now say
    that BT have now confirmed that my line is unable to support the 1Mb
    service, as I could see by looking at the BT.com/broadband website.

    Today my figures are 50db Attenuation and SNR of 25db. I really thought
    that these figures would be OK for 1Mbit, but I cannot convince plusnet.

    Peter

    Stone Free, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Stone Free

    Eddie Guest

    Hi Peter,

    I have a 1mb connection with Bulldog and my details are as follows: -

    Downstream Margin 14db
    Upstream Margin 24db
    Downstream Line Attenuation 53
    Upstream Line Attenuation 31

    I have had this connection for two years - I can't get any faster than this
    as I am too far from the exchange but on the whole my connection is pretty
    stable.

    Cheers

    Eddie

    Eddie, Oct 6, 2005

  3. PlusNet need to convince BT to change the checker, then the upgrade
    order would have gone through. ADSLguide gets checker records changed
    when ISPs crap out, go to the forums and search for "upgrade"

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Oct 6, 2005
  4. Stone Free

    Stone Free Guest

    Hi Phil,

    I couldn't find any info about this via the search for "upgrade". Can you
    provide me with a more direct link?

    Stone Free, Oct 9, 2005
  5. Phil Thompson, Oct 10, 2005
  6. Stone Free

    sprotty Guest

    Check reviews before using Bulldog, they are a terrible ISP.

    It took 3 weeks to connect, worked for 2 weeks, then broke, I've now
    been without a phone for 3 weeks Bulldog have done nothing about this,
    they have failed to call me back every time they have said they would
    (7 times). They have given 3 dates that it would be fixed (which it
    never was). Im even having trouble cancelling....

    In short NON-EXISTENT CUSTOMER SUPPORT - AND A POOR PRODUCT - I WILL
    NEVER USE THEM AGAIN

    sprotty, Oct 27, 2005