    cable will run at this speed, as someone told me I would have to get CAT5e
    ??? is this true and if so what is the difference between the 2

    Thanks

    Derek Tweedie, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Derek Tweedie

    NoName Guest

    I heard you can run GB Ethernet over cat5 - a server we just got has a gigabit
    card that has a RJ45 connection- personally I would only use fibre cable for
    gigabit ethernet

    NoName, Oct 11, 2003

  3. So how does rj45 work on fibre?

    Derek Tweedie, Oct 12, 2003
  4. Derek Tweedie

    NoName Guest

    you dont, you can get gigabit cards with either RJ45 or fibre optic connection..
    you can not run fibre over RJ45

    NoName, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Derek Tweedie

    Bigguy Guest

    No ..you will need Cat 6 for 1Gb

    IIRC 'Regular' Cat 5 is rated upto 100Mb, Cat 5e (enhanced) upto 350Mb, Cat
    6 upto 1Gb.

    Cat 5e is made to a higher spec than Cat 5 and has tighter twists.

    Guy

    Bigguy, Oct 13, 2003