    Windows XP will not use it but rather uses about half of it then
    starts swapping to virtual memory.

    How do I make Windows XP-Pro use the RAM and not the swap file?

    Zknb, Apr 28, 2004

  2. Zknb

    SgtMinor Guest

    SgtMinor, Apr 28, 2004

  3. Zknb

    Plato Guest

    Because the apps you are using dont amount to much drain. In other
    words, if you only use a minimal set of apps, you wont even be using all
    your hard ram. Windows will use a small pagefile anyway.

    In other words, if all I used windows for is USEnet posting, it wouldn't
    matter if I had 256 or 1 gig of ram. The system would run the same.

    If I was for example, running 100meg pagemaker files, then I'd see a
    speedup, especially if I had multiple 100 meg files opened at the same
    time.

    Plato, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Zknb

    Zknb Guest

    Yes I understand that but...

    I am using a rather large program and started a bunch of other large
    programs

    Windows used about 500 megs of physical ram and 350 megs of swap file.

    always leaving about 500 megs of physical ram free.

    Zknb, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Zknb

    Ron Martell Guest

    Did it actually use *350* megs of swap file - that is write 350 megs
    of memory content from RAM to the swap file and then drop that content
    from RAM - or did it just map 350 megs of memory that was requested
    but never used to locations in the swap file?

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Apr 29, 2004
  6. Zknb

    Zknb Guest

    Welll there sure was a lot of harddrive activity when switchin betwean
    programs for mapping but never using the swapfile...

    I fixed it anyway by reducing the swapfile to 2 megabytes maximum
    size.

    Now everything runs a little faster and switches programs faster
    because there is no harddrive activity at all.

    Zknb, Apr 30, 2004