1fe-Tx vs fe1-Fx

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by captain99_1999, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. I have a Cisco3640 with 2 fast ethernet cards in it.

    One of the ethernet ports is dropping packets,
    (ie. losing pings).

    On the "show interface fast" command it says,
    "100BaseTX/FX".

    But when I look to buy a replacement 100-Mb card,
    I appear to have 2 options:

    (1) NM-1FE-TX

    (2) NM-1FE-FX

    What are the differences?

    Which one do I currently have,(if it lists both on the
    running configs)?

    And if I upgrade,(3700, 3800, etc....), would one be
    better then the other,(for being able to be used in a
    newer model of router)?

    Or should I be looking at a "NM-2FE" card?

    captain99_1999, Sep 13, 2006

  2. pinging of the device itself? The device will drop pings if it
    is under heavy load, and in any case [I believe] has an icmp throttle
    rate (10 per second comes to mind, but could easily be wrong.)

    Check also for duplex mismatches.
    TX is RJ45 style connector, FX is fibre connector. But you
    can't buy NM-1FE-FX anymore: the new part is NM-1FE-FX-V2

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_data_sheet09186a0080091b89.html
    Look through the list at the URL above. There isn't any card for
    that router series which provides multiple fast ethernets directly.
    If memory serves me, the way to get multiple fast ethernets on that
    line is to get one of the NM-*2W (e.g, NM-1E2W) and then fill the two
    WIC slots with fast ethernet WICs. You have to plan the performance
    (and budget!) carefully if you take this approach.

    Walter Roberson, Sep 13, 2006

  3. captain99_1999

    LinkWaves Guest

    TX and FX is different