1Ds Mark II ease of use fore first time buyer?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. You may be right. Do we learn the same way/amount from a dynamic
    process, or from a series of static results? It may vary greatly from
    person to person. Wish I still worked for the college, I would love
    to run this past the experts in the staff resource centre.
    In other words it may no longer matter if a person can look at a print
    and say, "plus 10 magenta," as long as he/she knows the correct colour
    balance when it is produced, and knows how to get there.
    You know, I don't think I ever consider any photo to have a "final
    product" anymore. Too often I will look at something printed years
    before, and think "I could do a better job now!" I get your point,
    however. A purely digital workflow is not just a different means to
    an end, the intermediate steps are completely different as well, and
    require a different mindset.
    (Did we just venture into the Star Trek newsgroup? )

    I wish paper prints could react to the environment and adapt as
    needed. When I did custom printing I would often hear a client
    complain that a print was too dark or light. Of course, they never
    told us the conditions in which they planned to display it! A print
    will look very different in a dark room than in a bright room, add a
    large matte or frame etc.

    I wonder if those "digital photo frames" will ever become cheap enough
    to replace prints? Probably a bad idea, though, yet another device to
    calibrate and profile!

    The Black Sheep, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Mike

    MikeWhy Guest

    <g> No. I'm used to zooming in to pixel level check details or problems.
    That's all I was alluding to. Checking a print, I reach for the zoom button,
    but instead have to feel around for the loupe, which is invariably buried
    someplace other where I'm looking.
    They're bloody awful. :) I'm glad they died before I got one as a gift.

    MikeWhy, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Well, they keep teasing us about "digital paper"- a flat film able to
    dynamically show images. IIRC several technologies are being worked
    on, but most fall under the "don't hold your breath" category.

    Loupes. Ah yes, loupes. They usually fall under two categories:
    cheap but temporarily misplaced, or expensive and permanently
    misplaced.
    gift.

    I'm sure they would make great frisbees. Or give it to someone you
    hate, and then nod in agreement as he talks about how "great" it is
    and how "wonderful" the images are. Oh, maybe that's a bit evil.

    The Black Sheep, Feb 1, 2004